What's new

VPN Director Rule for WAN Interface

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mpleasan88

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I have an Asus RT-AX88U (firmware: Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1) configured with ExpressVPN VPN Clients. I use an OBIHAI OBi202 VoIP Adapter with Google Voice for my home phone and fax. I noticed two weeks ago that I couldn't call out although calls could still be received. After hours of testing including reconfiguring the OBi202 VoIP adapter and ExpressVPN clients, I found that calls can be made and received if the VPN is disabled on the Asus RT-AX88U router. Therefore, I created a VPN Director WAN Rule for the OBi202 VoIP adapter. With this setting, the OBi202 VoIP adapter still doesn't connect and calls can't be made; however, I found that if the VPN is disabled with the OBi202 VoIP adapter VPN Director WAN Rule, the OBi202 VoIP adapter connects and calls can be made. After the VPN is enabled again, the OBi202 VoIP adapter goes offline again and calls can't be made.

I've used this setup since September 2019 and I contacted ExpressVPN support. I was told the same standard answer which is to try other servers. I had already tried 12 of their servers before I contacted ExpressVPN.

The VPN Director WAN Rule for the OBi202 VoIP adapter doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone else experience this problem? Can someone tell me how to fix this? I've attached images of the configuration. Thanks...

Attachments

• 20230406 Asus RT-AX88U (OpenVPN Client Settings - Custom Configuration).png
    20230406 Asus RT-AX88U (OpenVPN Client Settings - Custom Configuration).png
    10.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 20230406 Asus RT-AX88U (OpenVPN Client Settings).png
    20230406 Asus RT-AX88U (OpenVPN Client Settings).png
    81.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 20230406 Asus RT-AX88U (VPN Director Rule).png
    20230406 Asus RT-AX88U (VPN Director Rule).png
    151.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 20230406 Asus RT-AX88U (VPN Disabled - OBi202 CONNECTED).png
    20230406 Asus RT-AX88U (VPN Disabled - OBi202 CONNECTED).png
    62.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20230406 Asus RT-AX88U (VPN Enabled - OBi202 NOT CONNECTED).png
    20230406 Asus RT-AX88U (VPN Enabled - OBi202 NOT CONNECTED).png
    72.4 KB · Views: 99
Hi,
I have no experience in this issue. However, I came across this post recently and thought it might help:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/best-mtu-setting.84444/#post-833704

Moreover, I see that you set all your LAN devices go through all five VPN servers. I am not quite sure that it can cause any conflict or not...Maybe you can try to reduce to only 1 server first, and increase gradually until your VoIP device encounter issue again?

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. I verified that the MTU size is set correctly. Although only OVPN5 is enabled, I completely removed the VPN Director Rules for OVPN1, OVPN2, OVPN3 and OVPN4. Unfortunately, the VoIP device still doesn't work. Thanks again.

Hi @mpleasan88 ,
You are welcome. Sorry to hear that they did not work for you. I hope that you would find a solution soon.