What's new

VPN dreaded “no route to host” error...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snagglewest

New Around Here
Let me start by stating I'm in no way an expert in networking, I'm just your average home hack. I'm using Asus Merlin on a AC 68 with a private IP range of 192.168.1.X which I suspect is very common. I'm also running a OpenVPN server on a raspberry PI so I can access my home network easily on the road. Yes, I know Merlin can do VPN but I prefer to keep it simple and everything separated hence the Pi which was very simple to set up. The VPN works great, I can connect and get a local LAN IP and do anything I need to whenever connected to an outside network except...

I just received a Verizon Jetpack. I can connect to the VPN just fine from cell phones/laptops etc connected to the jetpack and it works well. The problem is when I try and access something on my LAN by the internal private IP (192.168.1.X) I get the dreaded “no route to host” error.

I'm pretty sure this is due to the Jetpack giving out a private IP of 192.168.1.X also. I can't change the Jetpack private range and I really don't want to redo my entire LAN within the house because I have a lot of static IP's set.

Soooo.... Is there a way around this?

I've googled for a few hours and my googlefoo has failed me but not being very network savvy hasn't helped I'm sure.

Thanks

Let me start by stating I'm in no way an expert in networking, I'm just your average home hack. I'm using Asus Merlin on a AC 68 with a private IP range of 192.168.1.X which I suspect is very common. I'm also running a OpenVPN server on a raspberry PI so I can access my home network easily on the road. Yes, I know Merlin can do VPN but I prefer to keep it simple and everything separated hence the Pi which was very simple to set up. The VPN works great, I can connect and get a local LAN IP and do anything I need to whenever connected to an outside network except...

I just received a Verizon Jetpack. I can connect to the VPN just fine from cell phones/laptops etc connected to the jetpack and it works well. The problem is when I try and access something on my LAN by the internal private IP (192.168.1.X) I get the dreaded “no route to host” error.

I'm pretty sure this is due to the Jetpack giving out a private IP of 192.168.1.X also. I can't change the Jetpack private range and I really don't want to redo my entire LAN within the house because I have a lot of static IP's set.

Soooo.... Is there a way around this?

I've googled for a few hours and my googlefoo has failed me but not being very network savvy hasn't helped I'm sure.

Thanks
Problem solved.

Just to close the loop on this, my suspicions were correct. The problem was the conflicting private IP address ranges on my home network and the jetpack. I was able to get my IT department to change the private IP range to 192.168.2.X on the company provided jetpack and everything works perfectly.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!