What's new

VPN Encryption Throughput Comparison Needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FastVPNwanabee

New Around Here
I am setting up my own cloud for security reasons. I want to share data across multiple devices, and have a central NAS keep a central database with backups. I am using a QNAP TS251+ behind a linksys LRT214 VPN router, and windows 7 VPN clients on my PC devices. With typical ISP internet service speeds (25Mbps down, 10Mbps up) or faster (one test site has COMCAST that gives up to 235mbps down and 15 mbps up) on both sides (client and servers) I see an effective throughput of only about 200 kBps to 600 kBps. This is just too slow to sync all my data fast enough. (I sync about 2TB) So I started to troubleshoot, and found that if I put a notebook PC on my VPN router (Linksys LRT214) directly using 1Gbps ethernet, QNAP reported 43 MBps up and 22 MBps down. This is between 15x and 40x the speed of when using the VPN into that same router. So, the VPN encryption throughput is the bottleneck. This also was verified since the LRT214 is a small ARM processor and got about 200kBps up encryption speeds, and my notebook (a XEON processor Thinkpad P50 got 600 kBps up encryption speed, or about 3x. so the XEON is about 3x for encryption I believe. I am using Windows 7 VPN client software and the minimal encryption settings offered, so I can't reduce that. (using automatic VPN with EAP-MSCHAPv2 and/or CHAP or MS-CHAP v2, l2TP and certificates, with TCP/IPv4) So it seems to me I need to get a faster VPN ENCRYPTION PROECESSOR capability. This has nothing to do with wifi speed, just the encryption processor speed. I have been looking at options and bought a MikroTik routerboard that should be faster. But still TBD for encryption throughput speed. I hope someone else has done this testing and can refer me to a good site for comparison testing of similar VPN encryption throughput comparisons with actual test data. Any bit diddlers out there with my problem too? I want to get to at least 5MBps effective throughput both ways. I realize I will need to increase my ISP internet speed to do this too, but so far that is not the bottleneck I believe. Suggestions?

Spaces and paragraphs help out much - you can use the (edit) button....

State the problem, and then steps you've taken, the observations, and then your question.

butputtingaproblemintoalongrunningsentenceisntreallyhelpful.

What encryption are you using on the LRT214 for the tunnel? Also, can you use another LRT214 at your endpoint sites to just create a site-to-site ipsec tunnel? I've found these to be much faster and stable than client side tunnels.