What's new

VPN exceptions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dougj

Occasional Visitor
I have an ASUS RT-AX88U router (brand new with native firmware) and have established a OpenVPN client using NordVPN as the service. Under VPN>VPN Fusion I set up two of my 4 devices to use the VPN, including my desktop. However, once I click apply, I lose access to the ASUS router interface (which makes sense). It doesn't matter if I point my browser at the router IP or router.asus.com.
Am I not correct in assuming that this would be a common scenario (needing access to the router desktop interface for future router changes or updates) and easily solved by the use of an exceptions list where I could exclude the web address of my router, or IP, to allow me to still make those necessary changes?

I do not find on my router any exceptions list. Any direction woudl be appreciated.

Doug

What version is that native firmware? Did you do a clean install on your new router? Or, did you import any saved config settings?

Are you using ports 5-8 on it?

If VPN Fusion doesn't allow you to do what you need, you may find RMerlin's VPN Director does.

firmware is 3.0.0.4.388_20558 and this is a brand new out of the box install. I am using port 4 for one device that will always be on VPN and port 7 for my desktop. My VPN client is as seen in step 3 at this link
https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1048507 except I am using OpenVPN.

If I switch to Merlin I assume I lose ASUS support?

What Asus support would you lose? You can flash RMerlin or stock firmware back and forth.

Features | Asuswrt-Merlin

Try limiting your use to ports 1-4 only. Asus' 8 port models are buggy for some.

If I switch to Merlin I assume I lose ASUS support?

You keep your warranty (most of the time), but you can't contact Asus with 3rd party firmware support questions and you can't report issues.