1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

VPN for ASUS GT-AC5300 ROG Rapture Wireless AC5300

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by jochenthomas, Dec 15, 2017.

1. jochenthomas

jochenthomas Occasional Visitor

@RMerlin

Hi,
    I bought the above mentioned Router (ROG/GT-AC5300).
    But I havn't seen that this device has no VPN integrated.

Therefore I would like to ask if it would be possible to flash the router with "Asuswert-Merlin" and get VPN support???
    I am not sure if there is a special reason not to have VPN support integrated (for me important was the 8 LAN-ports existing instead of only 4).

Will it be possible or is it -for some special reasons- absolutely not possible in the future?
    Thanks for your answer ;-)

2. Jack Yaz

Jack Yaz Very Senior Member

The GT is not supported, and there are no plans to support it in the future. This is due to the unique hardware in the GT and Asus' own limited support by lack of regular GPL release.

3. jochenthomas

OK very fast answer !! - thanks for this, so I will send it back ;-)
    Best regards.

4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

According to the source code, the GT-AC5300 does have OpenVPN support. In fact VPN Fusion is one of its unique features.

5. jochenthomas

Hi RMerlin,
    thanks for this information - I checked on the product comparison page where it was stated "no VPN".
    But in this case maybe I should check if they really support it ;-)