What's new

VPN for remote access (iPad friendly)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

haughjd

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I currently have a Cisco PIX as my firewall, and lots of Cisco routers to build up my internal VPN. I have about 50 named users configured on the Pix. These users can then connect using an ipsec client to access internal system remotly.

The Pix is old now, and user administration is NOT slick. The Pix often has problems and needs a reboot, to get it going again.

What I'm looking for is a new box of tricks to allow for better remote access. Perhaps ssl vpn. Not too interested in tokens or anything like that. I said I've got 50 named users, but they are not all valid - and perhaps I could work with 10 concurrent.

We're starting to look at the iPad within the business now. So any solution must work with the VPN settings on the iPad.

So what should I consider to make for a fast reliable ipad friendly remote access solution??

The Cisco ASA is thought.

But what else should I consider.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Zyxel USG series.

USG100 and higher have L2TP over IPSec which is what you need for iOS.

USG20 and 50 will support L2TP over IPSec when V3 firmware is released in late 2011.

I've not considered products from Zyxel - are the strong in this small/med. business area?

so far my short list for consideration is

Cisco ASA
Junpier
Sonicwall
and Barracuda

Looking a good but affordable (value for money) vpn that would easily from a PC/Laptop and also the new iphones/ipads which people are starting to get hold off. Any chosen device should have a nice web interface and be easy to setup and manage.

Thanks, Jon

I've had a quote for a:

Cisco ASA5505-SSL10-K9 (Advanced Security Appliance, VPN Edition with 10 SSL user license, 3DES/AES)

Which I think should give me both ssl and ipsec vpn options.

would the native vpn option on the ipad work with this ok.

Anyone worked with the ASA5505 before - whats the web interface like is it easy to get up and running with one of these?

Thanks, Jon

I doubt an iOS device with work with most SSL endpoints. SSL endpoints typically require a small applet be installed on the client machine. This won't install on iOS unless the vendor offers an app through the Apple Appstore.

I really think you'll want to stick with L2TP/IPSec for iOS.

I really think you shouldn't discount the Zyxel USG series. Based on the Cisco you are looking at the USG300 offers similar performance and a lot more functionality. Plus you won't need a service contract just to get firmware upgrades.

I doubt an iOS device with work with most SSL endpoints. SSL endpoints typically require a small applet be installed on the client machine. This won't install on iOS unless the vendor offers an app through the Apple Appstore.

I really think you'll want to stick with L2TP/IPSec for iOS.

I know you said IPad, but maybe the IPhone is similar

IPhone needs a jailbreak to use ssl vpn.

PPTP protocol works OK on IPhone.

IPhone IPSec does not work with some Cisco IPsec routers (e.g. RV220W)

Zyxel quietly announced that their forthcoming SSL VPN in USG models will be a clientless solution. This should be released with V3 OS for the USG around end of year. This could possibly work with iOS devices.

I know you said IPad, but maybe the IPhone is similar

IPhone needs a jailbreak to use ssl vpn.

PPTP protocol works OK on IPhone.

IPhone IPSec does not work with some Cisco IPsec routers (e.g. RV220W)

I can confirm that PPTP protocol works OK on IPhone iOS5. I use the PPTP VPN package that comes with the latest version of the Synology DiskManager. It works like a charm. Very easy to setup. Turn it on in the Synology NAS and do a port forward in the gateway router.