What's new

Vpn for Samsung smart tv only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrbg07546

New Around Here
i want to have a vpn for my smart tv only.

I have a asus router with stock firmwarw(which I like) and don't want to change it to merlin

Is it possible to set the vpn to the IP address of the Samsung smart tv?

Is there a device I can connect to the smart tv(which is wired) which will provide it only with vpn.

I have a synology but no windows pc if that helps)

Assuming your router supports it, there's really no downside to upgrading the stock Asus firmware to AsusWRT-Merlin. If you like the stock stuff, the Merlin version just builds on that by fixing bugs and rounding out incomplete features in the factory product. The Asus firmware started out as Tomato, which is open source, and so Asus has been obligated keep it open source. Merlin builds on that in way that doesn't load it up with new features, and keeps it perfectly accessible to users of the stock version. The reason, I say all this is because I think upgrading to Merlin is the best and easiest way to create a VPN client with policy routing that would be great for your desired setup.

Otherwise, options that come to mind would be to use a small VPN client router that would connect between the smart TV and your existing router. You could build a Raspberry Pi with OpenWRT (LEDE fork - ROOter build), which would make a nice VPN client router. I've have one of these myself, and it's a sweet and powerful little router device. I wrote a post recently on this forum about setting up a Raspberry Pi as an OpenVPN Client on PIA, but the concepts will work with pretty much any VPN provider:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...e-fork-rooter-build-pia-openvpn-client.41024/

Thanks for your response.

Reason I don't wanna touch the router is because I have all my cameras and smart alarm set to the asuscomm.com dns. I assume installing merlin will mean I have to set these up all again

It is a good idea to do a factory default when you upgrade to AsusWRT-Merlin, however it's not required. I've gone back and forth before between Asus stock and Merlin without issue.

Your asuscomm.com DDNS is tied to your router's MAC address, so that won't change. And to be safe, you can take screenshots of pages with specific settings you may need using Nimbus Screenshot (a Chrome Extension) and its "Entire Page" button for getting the whole page. So you'd want the "Port Forwarding" page to capture the settings for your cameras and security system and the DDNS page to be sure you use the same address. If you make a backup of your Asus settings before the update, you could always go back to stock and restore your settings if you run into a problem.

The Port Forwarding page looks like this:

screenshot-192.168.4.1-2017-09-13-14-18-57.png

The DDNS page looks like this:

screenshot-192.168.4.1-2017-09-13-15-04-46.png

These are from a router I use for testing, which is why there's no port forwarding or ddns active.

In the long run though I'd suggest that this approach will be easier, less time consuming, and cheaper than setting up a new device to act as your VPN client. This way if you want to add other devices to the VPN in the future you've configured your setup to do that easily.

If you're firmly against upgrading your primary router, then take a look at the Raspberry Pi VPN Client approach I referenced in my first response.