What's new

VPN Fusion alternatives?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daarke01

New Around Here
I want a VPN router except having to choose between having all traffic through VPN or not.
Currently I own a Linksys WRT1900ACSV2 with PCWRT configured which enables me (like VPN Fusion) to choose which devices gets routed through VPN and who doesn't.
Problem is I'm having latency issues with Linksys, getting fluctuating 50-80 ms and beyond in games.

I've been looking at TUF-AX5400 cause of VPN Fusion compability. Although I'm concerned for Trend Micro collecting webhistory.
Is there an alternative to VPN Fusion for different brands other than Asus? Or another way of achieving same results? Somehow where you can choose for example.

Laptop A -> Internet (ISP)
Laptop B -> OpenVPN (Surfshark)

I'm hoping to find something in similar price range, not a 500 USD x64 mini computer router with pfsense or whatnot.

Last edited:
Asuswrt-Merlin supported router, VPN Director. Perhaps the most flexible configuration tool for home routers. You can disable TrendMicro engine in Asuswrt, but you'll lose Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Web History, Parental Controls and AiProtection.

TUF-AX5400 is supported by @GNUton, official Asuswrt-Merlin fork:

Asuswrt-Merlin supported router, VPN Director. Perhaps the most flexible configuration tool for home routers. You can disable TrendMicro engine in Asuswrt, but you'll lose Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Web History, Parental Controls and AiProtection.

TUF-AX5400 is supported by @GNUton, official Asuswrt-Merlin fork:

Thanks for the tip! I've been reading about VPN Directory today actually. A got an offer to buy a RT AX56U cheap which I know can be flashed with Merlin firmware. I'm not interested in any other functionalites like QoS, Parent Control etc. Just haven't been sure if it achieves the same thing as VPN Fusion.

Gonna look into it. As long as I can hit 50-60 mb/s with OpenVPN and has a kill switch I'm satisfied. Seeing as AX56U has 1.5 GHz core, it might be enough.

Last edited:
I don't use Asus router on my network, but seems like AX86U or cheaper AX86S are the most popular models around. AX56U/58U are entry level, AX68U is in the middle, AX86U is what most people will recommend, AX86S is the younger brother. For faster VPN (~250Mbps) you need CPU with AES support.

AX class Asuswrt-Merlin supported routers with AES:

RT-AX68U
RT-AX86U
RT-AX86S
RT-AX88U
GT-AX11000
GT-AXE11000

Coming soon:

GT-AX6000
ZenWiFi Pro XT12