What's new

VPN Issues on RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davep1976

New Around Here
Hello all,

I've recently purchased the above router and have been playing with the VPN side of things over the last couple of days. (I have never used VPN before)

I've ran into a couple of issues and am hoping you can advise on the best course of action.

I'm currently running 3.0.0.4.374.34_2 Merlin Build Firmware.

Issue 1

VPN will only connect if DMZ is turned off - I normally have my CCTV sitting in the DMZ however I'm unable to dial into the VPN if this is turned on. Is there anyway around this?

Issue 2

Unable to map network drive - I can connect to the VPN but am unable to map newtork drives or view shared folders/drives. My current DHCP range is 10.11.12.1 for the internal network but the VPN is assigning a pool of 10 from 192.168.10.2 is this the issue? Does the VPN address pool need to be the same as my DHCP in order to view shared drives and folders?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dave

Issue 1

VPN will only connect if DMZ is turned off - I normally have my CCTV sitting in the DMZ however I'm unable to dial into the VPN if this is turned on. Is there anyway around this?

This is a limitation caused by the DMZ. To be honest, DMZ should only be used for troubleshooting purposes, because otherwise any traffic the router does not know how to handle will be sent to that device.

Issue 2

Unable to map network drive - I can connect to the VPN but am unable to map newtork drives or view shared folders/drives. My current DHCP range is 10.11.12.1 for the internal network but the VPN is assigning a pool of 10 from 192.168.10.2 is this the issue? Does the VPN address pool need to be the same as my DHCP in order to view shared drives and folders?

You have to allocate IPs from the same subnet, otherwise you will run in two two problems:

1) Routing issue from your client, which won't know what route to use to reach your LAN device (unless you have your PPTP client set to use the remote gateway as the default gateway, which will have the side-effect of also routing all the Internet traffic from your client through your VPN)

2) A lot of devices will reject the connection attempt from your VPN client for security reasons (as they won't accept IPs coming from a non-local subnet)

Hi Merlin,

Thanks for responding :D

Sorry for asking such a dumb question, but what should the subnet be if my DHCP address pool is 10.11.12.1 - 254?

Thanks Again

Dave

Hi Merlin,

Thanks for responding :D

Sorry for asking such a dumb question, but what should the subnet be if my DHCP address pool is 10.11.12.1 - 254?

Thanks Again

Dave

First, reduce your DHCP pool to something smaller. For example, 10.11.12.100 - 254.

Then allocate 10.11.12.90 - 10.11.12.99 for your PPTP clients. Netmask will remain 255.255.255.0.