What's new

VPN + "Normal" traffic setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

walterg74

New Around Here
Hi Folks,

I just flashed my router (AC86U) with the latest release version.

The basic setup is complete, and I believe I sucessfully configure my VPN connection to my provider, and testing/activating seems to have worked.

What I want to to is have an SSID (Say "VPN" to be original) so that when devices connect to it, they go through the VPN, and when they connect to the "normal" SSID(s), traffic gets routed normally without going through that tunnel.

Per what I have read, I understand I can now use VPN director to create a rule so that a source subnet gets routed through the tunnel. But how/where do I configure this separate subnet?

Also, do the "normal" SSIDs for 2.4Ghz/5Ghz. as well as LAN connected clients use the same DHCP server/scope?

Thanks.

I think the first guest network runs off the 192.168.101.0/24 subnet (can't be configured, hardcoded), so you should be able to use that to get the result you need. Just add 192.168.101.0/24 as the "local ip" in VPN director and it should work.

I think the first guest network runs off the 192.168.101.0/24 subnet (can't be configured, hardcoded), so you should be able to use that to get the result you need. Just add 192.168.101.0/24 as the "local ip" in VPN director and it should work.

Thanks, yes I have just seen it seems that is 101 and the first 5Ghz one is 102.

One weird issue I encountered is I first had defined the 1st 5Ghz one, all good. And when I went to create the 1st 2.4Ghz one, it seems to interfere with everything, saying for some reason it changed the WPA key of the MAIN connection, and connection keeps dropping and returning etc. (on the main SSID, and all others...) I just removed the 1st 2.4Ghz one and all is back to normal. Is this a bug?