What's new

Vpn on asus 68u behind a wireless router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xlarge

Regular Contributor
Asus 68u run asuswrt-merlin last update and I run OpenVPN on it. The wireless router is set in bridge and my isp they tell me that NAT is disabled.

The routers are placed in my summer cottage and I live far away (300 km) and am stucked when the vpn not function which has happen now and last week also. Last week got help from a friend living there. He powered off the 240v to the cottage and on again (in the outdoor box) which woke up the wireless routers internet.

I have from my alarm company a electric socket which I can power off and on with sms but sorry to say, just now only before the asus router. I have of course used this sms and powered the asus off and on, but I still haven't got internet.

I discover through googling that there is some difference between asus and asuswrt-merlin on the DDNS page. This is the use of DDNS "Internal" og "External" (new in Oct. 2018). I found that the original asus don't have this choice. Looking deeper I found that External is ment for Dual DAT, but as mentioned above it should not be my case. Therefore I use Internal.

There is two other thing I want to ask about:
1. On the first screen after login there is a lightbulb with yellow color - where the asuscomm.com is coming up. Is this wrong color?
2. On the wireless router - last time I changed it, I had to reset it to get it work. I forgot to disable wifi before I put it in brigde. Off course that wifi don't work thereafter, but can this be a trigger and give me the missing internet-problem?

I suppose I'm still out of business if the wireless router must be reset (with a thin needel), but hope it isn't the case.

Is the config - asus 68u with OpenVPN after a wireless router a known and OK configuration?

Enclose two pics and hope for advice.

as.jpg

dd.jpg

There is two other thing I want to ask about:
1. On the first screen after login there is a lightbulb with yellow color - where the asuscomm.com is coming up. Is this wrong color?
Can't help on the rest of it, but that's the Let's Encrypt icon and not indicating any problem as best I can tell.

Smarter people than I have suggested that you setup both OpenVPN servers (on different ports) so that if one fails, you can try to connect with the other in case it's just a problem with the single OpenVPN server on the router.

Smarter people than I have suggested that you setup both OpenVPN servers (on different ports) so that if one fails, you can try to connect with the other in case it's just a problem with the single OpenVPN server on the router.

Ops. I have heard about that before, but forgot to do it. Priority job when I have travelled the 300 km next time.
Thanks Dave.

I can check if internet is on through my alarm system (not via broadband, but mobilband) - and internet is NOT on. Therefore it probably is not a vpn-problem this time.

Last edited:
As my internet don't work (checked through the mobilband with my alarmsystem) I'm looking for trouble in the wireless broadband router (isp is ice). They recommend to
- check that wifi is Disabled before bridge is Enabled. (Not something I were aware of).
- activate a Watchdog which can restart the router when no activity for some seconds.
Both need to be done locally. NAT is checked to be disabled by the isp.

The wifi issue could be the problem, but I hope for possible other suggestions.

My ISP has changed their advice. Watch dog only keep the router alive, but there is another script, Scheduled Reboot, which power off and on and normally should this be enough for get everything live again. Possibly once a day.

Planning to config server2 I need a little help. I plan to only use a different server port from 1194 (1197 or 1198). Everything else exactly the same as for server1 - or am I wrong?

Next, I worry about client1.ovpn. I suppose there must be one client1 for server1 and one other client1 for server2 settings. Correct?

But where choose I server1 respective server2 from remote? Only by using the correct client1?

Next, I worry about client1.ovpn. I suppose there must be one client1 for server1 and one other client1 for server2 settings. Correct?

But where choose I server1 respective server2 from remote? Only by using the correct client1?
The VPN clients on the router are for when you want your outgoing traffic from your network clients going through one or more VPNs (e.g. NordVPN). It's not needed when you just need to VPN into your network from the internet.

The VPN clients on the router are for when you want your outgoing traffic from your network clients going through one or more VPNs (e.g. NordVPN). It's not needed when you just need to VPN into your network from the internet.
Thanks, but I think I must export a new client1.ovpn when I change the vpn server1 or vpn server2 settings (or change DDNS). Use of server2 seems to me to be a rescue alternativ and my question is how to use it - from remote.

Thanks, but I think I must export a new client1.ovpn when I change the vpn server1 or vpn server2 settings (or change DDNS). Use of server2 seems to me to be a rescue alternativ and my question is how to use it - from remote.
Gotcha, my misunderstanding. Never take VPN advice from someone who doesn't use VPN on the router. o_O

I plan to only use a different server port from 1194 (1197 or 1198). Everything else exactly the same as for server1 - or am I wrong?
Leave the "VPN Subnet / Netmask" settings at their default values, 10.8.0.0 and 10.16.0.0.