What's new

VPN on on one wireless not on another, possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyboytyler

Occasional Visitor
This will probably seem a strange request to most, but makes perfect sense to me.

Would it be possible to configure the router such that, one wireless network is setup and it acts like the default state of the network, connected to DNS servers etc. that the Cable provider users.

Then have another wireless network setup, but the second network is connected via VPN to a VPN server? In my case I often use a UK VPN, currently I do this using two routers.

So for example, I could connect my laptop to one wireless network and appear like I am in the US, then if I want to be in the UK, switch to the other wireless network that goes through the VPN.

Wondering if this is possible.

Many thanks.

Carl

Not without doing some iptables trickery. Possible, but complicated.

I'd like to do something similar.

I have an OpenVPN client setup and it works fine when I have it turned on.

However, what I'd like to do is automatically route a particular set of destination addresses through the VPN. The remaining destinations would avoid the VPN.

I've done some reading on this, in the context of Tomato, here, but I don't really understand what's going on. There is also some good Unbuntu documentation on iptables here.

I'm also wondering if the LAN->Route feature from the UI might be used for this. I don't find much documentation on that feature, however.

The reason for the automatic routing (which I understand is called "policy based routing"), is the VPN exits in a different country. That's what I want for routes to that country, but it slows down everything else, and some services use your IP to determine if you are eligible for their services.

Based on the reply above, it does sound like this should at least be possible with this firmware, which is encouraging.

If anyone has done this sort of setup, I'd appreciate any help.

Last edited: