What's new

VPN only to certain IPs or selective VPN is it doable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vasyl83

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I have recently switched from unblock-us to a full VPN service in order to be able to use Spotify and some other services which unblock-us did not support (and have it work on my phone as well).

Now I am facing a setup dilemma. I do not want to be permanently connected to VPN through my router, so I was wondering if it is possible to set up vpn in the same manner as DNS with dnsmasq, to only use vpn when connecting to certain sites (go through DNS when connecting to spotify or doing DNS lookups to avoid DNS leaking but everything else connect directly)? Probably static routes will help me with that but I don't have any experience with them, so I have no idea how to start. Is there a tutorial for something like that? (Using either merlin or tomato) My googlefu fails me on this.

Also I have 2 routers: RT-N16 and AC66U. Is it possible to connect one router into the other and have one connected to VPN while other isn't so that any device connected to the VPNed router would use VPN while everything else wouldn’t? If this kind of setup is possible then will network discovery in Windows work on any device connected to any router? (meaning will any device be able to see SMB shares on any client connected to either one of the 2 routers?)

I also have a dozen or so of cisco smart switches (ranging from 8 to 24 ports) if that is usefull in any manner.

no wonder I couldn't find anything I was searching for per ip vpn routing and not selective routing ...

Thanks for the link!