What's new

VPN Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dlake

New Around Here
Is it possible to configure a Synology NAS so that it will connect to the internet through a VPN? I downloaded the VPN Server package but it seems geared to accessing my NAS from the internet which I don't need. I don't want to do this at the router level as that tends to break things such as Netflix, HBO etc. My old router allowed me to select which devices traffic would flow over the VPN and that worked well. My new router Asus ET8 only has an all or nothing VPN setting. I would appreciate any help you can give me. FYI I am running 6.2.4 code on a 416Play. I have been cautious about upgrading to 7.0.

Server means the NAS is trying to be a server not a client connecting out. It allows you to connect from a remote location to the NAS through a VPN connection to it.

If you want it to make a connection out using a VPN you need to find a client app that you can install on it.

If you want whole network protection funneling traffic through a VPN on a device connected to the router would work as well. Setting the info in DHCP and automatically assigning that info to devices and then static IP on the devices not to use it. Depends on how many devices we're talking about here. If the majority don't need VPN then static assignments on the others that do would be easier.

Is it possible to configure a Synology NAS so that it will connect to the internet through a VPN? I downloaded the VPN Server package but it seems geared to accessing my NAS from the internet which I don't need. I don't want to do this at the router level as that tends to break things such as Netflix, HBO etc. My old router allowed me to select which devices traffic would flow over the VPN and that worked well. My new router Asus ET8 only has an all or nothing VPN setting. I would appreciate any help you can give me. FYI I am running 6.2.4 code on a 416Play. I have been cautious about upgrading to 7.0.
I have done further investigations and it looks like I can setup VPN access in the Sinology Network screens.