What's new

VPN Server behind multiNAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gjf

Hi All.

Today I have changed my provider and the new one looks more smart than previous :)

Now I can see 10.64.94.xx as my WAN IP address and it is very likely that I am behind multiple NAT. That's why DDNS gets incorrect IP even with external method to retrieve WAN IP - and as a result I cannot connect to my openVPN server running on router.

Is there any way to overcome it? I've tried to connect using IP from www.whatismyip.com but without any success.

Your choices are a) get your ISP to give you a public IP address, or b) route the incoming connections through some sort of proxy that is accessible from the internet.

Your choices are a) get your ISP to give you a public IP address, or b) route the incoming connections through some sort of proxy that is accessible from the internet.
Provider says they can give me White IP for extra cost, but they don't block any outside access - so why I cannot use DDNS in this case with frequent update?
Also I wonder why Network Map says my WAN IP is 10.64.94.xx, but DDNS thinks it is 192.168.0.1 - with both internal and external method to retrieve it?
And in the same time services like whatismyip.com says my IP is 185.253.42.xx - and it seems correct.

What is wrong with IP in the router information?

Provider says they can give me White IP for extra cost,
Is a "White IP" the same as a public IP?

but they don't block any outside access - so why I cannot use DDNS in this case with frequent update?
You gave the reason in the subject of this thread - your router is behind a NAT device.

Also I wonder why Network Map says my WAN IP is 10.64.94.xx,
Are you sure it's 10.64.94.xx and not 100.64.94.xx?

but DDNS thinks it is 192.168.0.1 - with both internal and external method to retrieve it?
And in the same time services like whatismyip.com says my IP is 185.253.42.xx - and it seems correct.
That's strange. What is the address range of your LAN? If you are using a VPN client on your router turn it off and check these addresses again.

1. White IP = Public IP.
2. When I use torrent other peers can connect. So why OpenVPN client cannot connect when I know a correct IP?
3. Yes, I am 100% sure.
4. 192.168.111.247/24 - this is my LAN in router settings so as you see there is no 192.168.0.1. No idea why DDNS provider gets this IP.
And I am not using any VPN client on router.

2. When I use torrent other peers can connect. So why OpenVPN client cannot connect...
Torrents don't need you to have a public IP address. They can work around NAT situations. OpenVPN does require a public IP address, or port forwarding from a public IP address.

... when I know a correct IP?
Do you know the "correct" IP address? You have given 3 addresses and only one of them is public. Which one of these addresses is shown on the Network Map > Internet Status page?

If your ISP say they can sell you a public IP address we can assume that you don't already have one.

I think we can probably disregard the 192.168.0.1 address as a bug in the DDNS process. So that would mean that your router's WAN interface address is 10.64.94.x but your ISP's address is 185.253.42.xx.

"Correct" is what 2ip.io and similar services shows me.
Network Map > Internet Status shows 10.64.94.xx.
DDNS shows 192.168.0.1
ISP says I will need public IP if I want IP be always the same so I don't need to use DDNS. But I never expected problems with it because DDNS correctly changes IP every time ISP changed it in past. So do I need to spend extra money for that? I don't think so - especially if it's possible to setup DDNS in the way it will get the correct IP.

DDNS and NAT are two completely different things so don't conflate them.

So at the moment there is some device between your ISP's public IP address (185.253.42.xx) and your router's WAN interface (10.64.94.xx) that is performing NAT. So what device is your router's WAN interface plugged into?

It goes to the wall. Then - to the roof of my building. After that I stopped checking because I have not wings.
OK looks like the productive part of our conversation is over.

It goes to the wall. Then - to the roof of my building. After that I stopped checking because I have not wings.
:D:confused: I think I've been labouring under a misunderstanding then. I had been assuming your router was plugged into a modem of some sort.

The questions I should have asked you in the first place: What model router do you have? And what type of internet connection do you have (e.g. cable, ADSL, etc.)?

Last edited: