What's new

VPN server on router vs physical device on network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ohnoes

New Around Here
I have successfully configured pptp server on my nas using ddns and port forwarding on router.

I am looking to switch to running an openvpn server / setup and was wondering what the practical pros or cons were between using an openvpn server on a router versus forwarding the ports to an openvpn server running on a windows machine (low power htpc which stays on all the time but isn't used a lot)

I am comparing a couple routers for different purposes. One is a cradlepoint with a feature I like (load balancing) but it requires a paid license to use openvpn. The other requires no such license but does not have load balancing.

I'm pretty sure a router would use a good bit less power, but is there any other things I should consider?

Thanks!
ohnoes

I'm pretty sure a router would use a good bit less power, but is there any other things I should consider?

Security, ease of troubleshooting, logging.

Security: Don't use PPTP, it's been compromised to the point that someone who knows what they're doing will have your information easily.

Ease of troubleshooting/logging: when you're initially setting up, this will make the connection much easier.

I'd use the router if it's supported. One less hurdle to hit for a connection. I know of several people (including one on this forum) who had issues with port forwarding VPN traffic that wouldn't have been an issue if they'd used their router.

I ran mine on a server for a while but finally migrated to using it on the firewall.

*Performance...assuming you have your hardware edge appliance (or dedicated VPN appliance) on decent hardware, performance will be much better for remote (VPN) clients/users. As having a Windows Server run VPN...well...ain't a ball of fire. Especially important if you have concurrent VPN users...you see a BIG difference in this.

*Security...keeping one less service on a Windows box exposed to the internet.