What's new

VPN server traffic redirecting to VPN client on Asus Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Martinnnnn

New Around Here
Hello, I'm Martin from the Netherlands.
I hope you guys understand my English and can help me with my "problem".

At this moment I own a Asus RT-AC87U router with newest Merlin foirmware version 380.66_6.

I have set up the OpenVPN client on the router. I am permenent connected to a comercial VPN server. This works very well.

I also have set up the OpenVPN server on the router. I can connect over cellular connection (4G/LTE) with my Phone to the Asus router by using my ISP ip adres as remote adres.

So the VPN client and VPN server (both OpenVPN) are up and running on my Asus router.

If i check my IP adres from a computer connected in my own LAN i see the commercial VPN IP adres as "my" ip adres. This is good, this is what I want.

If I check on my Phone my IP adres while im connected with my OpenVPN server (Asus Router) i see the IP adres of my ISP, that's is not what I want.

Is there a way that i can foreward\Push ALL incomming traffic on the Asus router SERVER to the Asus Router CLIENT. So all the incomming traffic (From my phone for example) gets forewarded/pushed to the commercial VPN server? So when i connect my phone over 4G/LTE with the Asus Router VPN Server I see the IP adres of the commercial VPN server.

I know a little about IP adresses/ DNS servers and how it globally works. I am new to using commands like you use with "Putty" for example. I Really hope you guys can help me out with my challenge.

Thank you,

Martin

Hello, I'm Martin from the Netherlands.
I hope you guys understand my English and can help me with my "problem".

At this moment I own a Asus RT-AC87U router with newest Merlin foirmware version 380.66_6.

I have set up the OpenVPN client on the router. I am permenent connected to a comercial VPN server. This works very well.

I also have set up the OpenVPN server on the router. I can connect over cellular connection (4G/LTE) with my Phone to the Asus router by using my ISP ip adres as remote adres.

So the VPN client and VPN server (both OpenVPN) are up and running on my Asus router.

If i check my IP adres from a computer connected in my own LAN i see the commercial VPN IP adres as "my" ip adres. This is good, this is what I want.

If I check on my Phone my IP adres while im connected with my OpenVPN server (Asus Router) i see the IP adres of my ISP, that's is not what I want.

Is there a way that i can foreward\Push ALL incomming traffic on the Asus router SERVER to the Asus Router CLIENT. So all the incomming traffic (From my phone for example) gets forewarded/pushed to the commercial VPN server? So when i connect my phone over 4G/LTE with the Asus Router VPN Server I see the IP adres of the commercial VPN server.

I know a little about IP adresses/ DNS servers and how it globally works. I am new to using commands like you use with "Putty" for example. I Really hope you guys can help me out with my challenge.

Thank you,

Martin
Try these settings on your OpenVPN Server web gui page:

upload_2017-7-7_21-49-28.png

My provider has support for various client devices e.g android, ipad, iPhone, laptop. So I use their apps or OpenVPN Client apps to connect to one of their VPN servers rather than connecting to my router.

Try these settings on your OpenVPN Server web gui page:

View attachment 9741

My provider has support for various client devices e.g android, ipad, iPhone, laptop. So I use their apps or OpenVPN Client apps to connect to one of their VPN servers rather than connecting to my router.
Hi Xentrk, the reason why I prefer to connect to my own router instead of a VPN provider app is the following reason. I would like to be able to establish a VPN connection with my Macbook with my Synology. The Synology is in my local network :)

I tried the settings you suggested. If I do a IP check I see the IP adres of my Mobile Phone Provider (Vodafone) not the IP of my VPN provider.... Any other suggstions? :)

Last edited:
Hi Xentrk, the reason why I prefer to connect to my own router instead of a VPN provider app is the following reason. I would like to be able to establish a VPN connection with my Macbook with my Synology. The Synology is in my local network :)

I tried the settings you suggested. If I do a IP check I see the IP adres of my Mobile Phone Provider (Vodafone) not the IP of my VPN provider.... Any other suggstions? :)
Glad that worked for you. I understand your use case requirement now. I have been looking into Synology NAS for home use myself.