What's new

VPN server with blocked ipv4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trebuin

I have been searching everywhere for a bit & haven't found any strong leads on how to set up a VPN to operate where my ISP won't allow any port forwarding. They have set up their DHCP to reflect a different address when checking between their STUN server & my Gateway's WAN address. They're perfectly willing to charge me a few hundred to set up a static address that will allow that, but not at several hundred a month to keep it going.

So my thoughts are to tunnel the VPN somehow using a computer or building it into the ASUS router. My ISP does not allow ipv6 so I'd have to set it up on my end. I'm having to learn this from scratch & my google searches aren't producing much.

If the issue is that your ISP does NOT provide a public IP (or does but actually does block port forwarding, which seems mighty strange, I've never seen that done, it would just be easier to assign you a private IP), and you're not willing to consider their static *public* IP option, your other option is to establish a public IP beyond your router, such as on a VPS (e.g., DigitalOcean, ~$5/month). You run an OpenVPN server there, connect a local OpenVPN client to that server, and route from the OpenVPN server into your home network. IOW, push the public IP out to a location where you control it. You could also gain remote access using an OpenVPN provider that supports port forwarding. That has the advantage of you not having to support the server. And if you intend to use an OpenVPN client for other purposes anyway, it doesn't involve any additional cost.

I plan to use the VPN to access files from home & video streaming while out of country, & most importantly, direct access from work. My work blocks pretty much everything except my home IP so that’s the best way to do that. Your digital ocean seems to be a possible solution, OpenVPN to my home router or the server I am running. I’m also open to other ideas.