What's new

VPN Services With Dedicated Streaming IP Address (Possible Security Risk?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GregW

Occasional Visitor
Are there any additional security risks using a VPN service that provides a dedicated streaming IP address?
I know the providers claim to maintain no records, but the dedicated IP to me seems to be a potential security issue.

Thank you

If one trusts their VPN provider, there's no reason the streaming IP should be any less secure than one of the same provider's other offerings. "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you," covers most situations. If your configuration/OpenVPN tunnel is configured correctly, that's about as much as you can hope for. It's certainly much more 'secure' than streaming though your unprotected ISP connection. To qualify the 'security risks' you indicate, there's always a chance someone (as is multiple letter government agencies) or extremely competent hackers, might be able to gain access to your stream, but if you aren't streaming anything illegal, immoral or fattening, keep an eye on it and enjoy. If you find evidence that someone is somehow trying to access your stream or get into your router, then you can always check with the provider to see if they have any advice or another IP that offers you better security. If the IP is used -only- for streaming, not surfing, email etc., then it should be secure enough that the streaming service isn't detecting any other users other than your authorized account, which you need to access your service. Then, all you need to do is trust the streaming services, that they aren't sharing all of your viewing habits with data-mining/advertising companies, but that's a subject for a different post. Many, many variables to consider. Good luck.

Are there any additional security risks using a VPN service that provides a dedicated streaming IP address?
I know the providers claim to maintain no records, but the dedicated IP to me seems to be a potential security issue.

Thank you
On Asus-Merlin and other routers, you can have more than one OpenVPN client running at a time. You can have one client defined to use the private IP and the other to a shared server. Use selective routing techniques mentioned in several threads to route subscription streaming media services that block known vpn providers to the private IP. Then, route all other traffic to the shared OpenVPN server or WAN. That is how I have my network configured.

Thanks for the replies.
Now that I have a better understanding of this, what VPN service do you recommend that offers a dedicated streaming IP?
I'm hoping that using a dedicated streaming IP will eliminate the dreaded picture captcha's for authentication on various streaming sources.

Thanks again

Xentrx, Good what you've done with your site. We finally made the jump from 380.68_4 to 384.5 on our 3200, cold power on, upgrade followed by power-off, wait a couple minutes, powered-up again, then all was well. Was prepared for a dance since it was quick and dirty, but the process was swift and drama-free. Had the updated configs ready from TorGuard. Unknown why but TG needed to be convinced Merlin NG was OpenVPN 2.4 ready. Adjusted the generator, our IPs loaded without incident and haven't any issues. We still run two at a time with two loaded but turned off, nice to be able to use more than two concurrent clients. Cheers.

Thanks for the replies.
Now that I have a better understanding of this, what VPN service do you recommend that offers a dedicated streaming IP?
I'm hoping that using a dedicated streaming IP will eliminate the dreaded picture captcha's for authentication on various streaming sources.

Thanks again
So glad you asked! https://x3mtek.com/why-i-use-torguard-as-my-vpn-provider/

Please note that you are not supposed to use the streaming IP for bit torrent, kodi add-ons, etc... It is intended for subscription or other services that block known VPN providers (Hulu, Netflix, BBC). Use the shared servers for things that require autonomy.

So glad you asked! https://x3mtek.com/why-i-use-torguard-as-my-vpn-provider/

Please note that you are not supposed to use the streaming IP for bit torrent, kodi add-ons, etc... It is intended for subscription or other services that block known VPN providers (Hulu, Netflix, BBC). Use the shared servers for things that require autonomy.

I placed the order with the dedicated streaming IP option. I agree with you, the dedicated IP for use with Kodi, is probably not a good idea.
What I was hoping to solve is the aggravating image based captcha authentication on some Kodi video sources. When I'm not behind my PIA vpn it's asimple checkbox to verify instead of all the images to select.
Do you thing the dedicated IP would solve this?

Do you think I should cancel the dedicated IP? and if so, can I find a way around the image captcha's?

I placed the order with the dedicated streaming IP option. I agree with you, the dedicated IP for use with Kodi, is probably not a good idea.
What I was hoping to solve is the aggravating image based captcha authentication on some Kodi video sources. When I'm not behind my PIA vpn it's asimple checkbox to verify instead of all the images to select.
Do you thing the dedicated IP would solve this?

Do you think I should cancel the dedicated IP? and if so, can I find a way around the image captcha's?
The dedicated or streaming ip is meant for streaming media services that block known vpn providers.

I suspect it is because most shared vpn servers have a dynamic IP address. Thereby forcing you to go thru the recaptcha process each time.

Search the web to see if you can find out more. May want to ask TG support. But do not use the private streaming ip for the webcrawler apps that provide unliscened content.

The dedicated or streaming ip is meant for streaming media services that block known vpn providers.

I suspect it is because most shared vpn servers have a dynamic IP address. Thereby forcing you to go thru the recaptcha process each time.

Search the web to see if you can find out more. May want to ask TG support. But do not use the private streaming ip for the webcrawler apps that provide unliscened content.

Thank you, I have canceled my request for the dedicated streaming IP.