What's new

VPN Services

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JWoody

New Around Here
I did a little research and it looks like the top 3 vpn service providers are Nordvpn, Expressvpn and Ipvanishvpn. I knew nothing about a VPN until a few months ago. I knew nothing about what a router could actually do. I now have an Asus AC86U (stock firmware,latest update, but maybe upgrading to Merlin soon) and am learning with your help. If you have an opinion of any of these three VPN providers, please share as I am about to purchase one, just not sure which one. Will most likely use it for Kodi and just plain privacy and surfing.

Not sure if you've settled on a provider yet - but if not you may want to consider PIA. I am using an 86U with Merlin and am getting great open VPN speeds (150Mbps down and 15 up).

I also have an account with Nord, but cannot get decent speeds at all (20 Mbps down is the max). Spent a lot of time trying trying various servers and configurations to no avail. Their tech folks insist that faster speeds are not possible through a router and really won't provide any meaningful support.

Once I switched to PIA all my speed issues disappeared. I've only been with them 5 or 6 weeks but they have been very reliable - no complaints at all from me. I have seen other reports of the 86U using PIA with results similar to mine.

I had poor speeds on NordVPN as well. I am using both Torguard and ExpressVPN at the moment and both are decent. The most noticable attribute of ExpressVPN is their consistent server speeds, generally faster than torguard, at least in my part of the world (SE Asia). Torguard offers capability to import ovpn files in any cipher you choose, while ExpressVPN does not offer this. Both can circumvent geo-blocking of, for example, Netflix USA and subscription based streaming services in CAN and USA. Have not tried PIA or iPvanish which many claim is VERY fast! Worth mentioning that Torguard and ExpressVPN both support Asus and Merlin applications.

unclebuk, we've used Torguard for streaming and found it excellent, and their always courteous response times are spot on, even when they aren't snowed under during a big sale. Express responses and quality of replies varies; once it took 3 days and 7 different fellows before the same one came back to solve a single query. PIA is OK, but beware of their unsigned clients; they're after many, and dump every query into the 'dummies' class of auto-response. They did grant a free trial, but they won't touch video streaming. I didn't have time to load PIA on the router for testing. Nord has good guides and respond fairly well with specific mentions of pages and servers to use. Cheers.

Agreed, PIA isn't a choice for video, and they don't offer the choices they used to have. Torguard has service to assign a private IP for video streaming if it's US you need, about the only way to get this done these days.

Curious about what speeds you are getting with IPVanish. I don't care about Netflix or anything like that - I just want a fast, secure VPN. If IPVanish can match PIA speeds then I would be happy to try them.

I currently have both PIA and NordVPN. I've been using PIA for about 8 months with great speed and no issues. Unfortunately, my wife kept complaining she couldn't watch Netflix and Hulu from our shared PC. I recently tried both ExpressVPN and NordVPN (bought 1 month ExpressVPN and 3 day NordVPN trial). Every review I read said that ExpressVPN was the fastest, but it didn't work that way for me. I recently purchased an AC86U and I was able to get within 3-5mbps of my max speed with PIA and NordVPN but nowhere near that with ExpressVPN.

I tested on a fast Windows Gaming Desktop, a cheap Windows Notebook and my new RT-AC86U Router. Max internet speed without VPN is 118mbps.

Here's my experience so far with each one:

PIA
Windows speed - 114mbps
Router speed - 116mbps

Pros
Very fast
Easy to use Windows app - right click on icon to choose auto server or specific server.
Easy webpage that shows fastest servers for me

Cons
No Netflix

ExpressVPN
Windows speed - 82mbps
Router speed - 64mbps
Closest server that does Netflix on either - 26mbps

Pros
Easy to use Windows app - auto connect to closest server or choose another. Closest servers are in recommended list. Also the app has a built-in speed test for everyone of their servers worldwide.
Live Chat support - great for initiating refund!

Cons
Slow Speed
No close server that bypasses Netflix VPN blocking

NordVPN
Windows speed 114mbps
Router speed 114mbps
Closest server that does Netflix on either - 109mbps

Pros
Very Fast
Live Chat support - though fun to find link. Easiest location is under one of the router installation tutorials.

Cons
App sucks - You can auto connect using the supposed closest server, but for some reason the app thought I was in New York like 2 states away. Also if you want to manually choose a server it does not show you the servers location but just their distance from you which is worthless if it has your location wrong!

Recommended Server Page only chooses best server for you. You can choose specialty servers, but a Netflix server is not one of the choices! I spent hours on live chat and also randomly testing servers listed in their Netflix FAQ page until I found a close server that works with Netflix. Literally hours!

In the end I chose NordVPN. Yes, I had some major issues with finding the right server but it is much faster than ExpressVPN. I have NordVPN setup for just about every device using selective routing on my AC86U and no one in the family has complained over the last few days (knock on wood :). I have been using the PIA client on my own Windows PC randomly when I want to torrent. NordVPN supports torrents, but only through specific servers.

Thanks

RT-AC86U - ASUS Merlin 382.2_beta2

Last edited:
I got a response from NordVPN's support. Originally I thought you had to use the Windows app to use their CyberSec ad/malicious site blocker. But according to their support you can just change the dns server your OpenVPN client is using to the NordVPN's CyberSec DNS servers.

This was their response:

To enable router-level cyber sec, you would have to use Cyber-sec DNS servers on your router which are : 103.86.99.99 and 103.86.96.96

I added the following lines to my OpenVPN Client Custom Configuration about 3 lines from the top:

dhcp-option DNS 103.86.99.99
dhcp-option DNS 103.86.96.96

Tested it on my Windows PC in Edge which has no adblocker and on my Android Tablet. Works great!

Note: Still going to add AB-Solution since I have devices not using the VPN :)

How can you tell if the Cyber-sec IS working, is there a benchmark test or other means to determine this?

How can you tell if the Cyber-sec IS working, is there a benchmark test or other means to determine this?
All the ads disappeared on websites I visited on my Android Tablet. My tablet is new and I haven't rooted it or installed ad-blocking. I googled ad block test and went to 2 sites, no ads.

Also this morning tried to view an email update from my favorite game on my desktop PC. When I clicked the link for more info it failed cause it went to an ad site first (hate when this happens). Ublock Origin has never on my Windows PC never blocked that before.

RT-AC86U - Merlin 382.2_beta2

All the ads disappeared on websites I visited on my Android Tablet. My tablet is new and I haven't rooted it or installed ad-blocking. I googled ad block test and went to 2 sites, no ads.

Also this morning tried to view an email update from my favorite game on my desktop PC. When I clicked the link for more info it failed cause it went to an ad site first (hate when this happens). Ublock Origin has never on my Windows PC never blocked that before.

RT-AC86U - Merlin 382.2_beta2
Very interesting, I just tried this Cyber-sec from NordVPN, went to a few adblock test sites and yes it does work like a damn! Do you know how well AB-Solution compares to Cyber-sec?

Last edited:
Hm No I'm new to all this. But I will be turning off NordVPN Cybersec for the router and adding AB-Solution. Cybersec is missing one important feature. No Control! I was doing some research on Linux today and had several webpages blocked. The only way to bring them up was to change my IP out of the range of the VPN. With AB-Solution I'll be able to whitelist websites I need to.

"I was doing some research on Linux today and had several webpages blocked. The only way to bring them up was to change my IP out of the range of the VPN."

Changing IPs beyond the vpn range everytime is not my cup of tea. I've never experienced any such problem. Try using any of the newest global providers like Acevpn, Ibvpn, and Liquidvpn. I'm sure, you need to follow the instructions carefully and still if you have doubts, get them clarified via email or through a phone call.

Ah I think you missed part of my post. The websites were only blocked because I was using NordVPN with their "CyberSec" ad-block and malicious website blocking. Since the blocking is done on the dns server I have no control when there is a false positive. With AB-Solution I can just whitelist the site. Though since I've installed it and turned off CyberSec I haven't had any issues.

I have posted a couple of times that Nord VPN speeds were much slower than PIA. It appears that Nord has a new feature on their web page that suggests a server to meet your needs. Onced I used that my openVPN speeds over Nord became much more acceptable - around 100 down 15 up. Just trying to provide the entire story.

Last edited:
I did a little research and it looks like the top 3 vpn service providers are Nordvpn, Expressvpn and Ipvanishvpn. I knew nothing about a VPN until a few months ago. I knew nothing about what a router could actually do. I now have an Asus AC86U (stock firmware,latest update, but maybe upgrading to Merlin soon) and am learning with your help. If you have an opinion of any of these three VPN providers, please share as I am about to purchase one, just not sure which one. Will most likely use it for Kodi and just plain privacy and surfing.

Hello, JWoody, If you mostly use Kodi than I would like to suggest you IPVanish which is best VPN for Kodi. Well Asus AC86U is good router but it has two major cons
  • You cannot mount it on walls, and it can be used only in one position
  • You cannot use the smartphone app from anywhere on the internet
the first one is negotiable but but the second one is the rely considerable con. I have also Asus product but different model I have Asus AC88U which best VPN router. A little bit expensive but it has highly optimize processor and fast ram and best to connect too many devices. it I share its con it has large body and costly but there is no more cons I am using it and very satisfied with it. For VPN user this ac88u is best router. but you have already router so I suggest you use IPVanish. Choices is yours.

I would suggest the AC86U 1800 MHz processor would/should provide faster VPN management than the AC88U 1400 Mhz processor. In fact I use both routers, the 86U performs significantly better with >50% increase in download speeds with the vpn's I have tested to date. However I have not tried or tested IPVanish. The AC88U WAS the go-to router for me until the 86U emerged.

Last edited:
I would suggest your research is based on various VPN review sites which rate VPN's based on how much money they are willing to pay them. At the current time the top VPN's you mention happen to be the ones with the deepest advertising budgets. Which doesn't relate to quality in any way. What you typically get with these popular VPN's is IP addresses that are blacklisted and marked as network sharing devices. Which result sin issues with many sites. A VPN with blacklisted and known IP addresses isn't much of a VPN. There are a lot of providers out there. who actually provide real VPN service, clean IP addresses and real privacy. But it's none of the ones being touted as the best VPN by the various fake review sites.

I would suggest your research is based on various VPN review sites which rate VPN's based on how much money they are willing to pay them. At the current time the top VPN's you mention happen to be the ones with the deepest advertising budgets. Which doesn't relate to quality in any way. What you typically get with these popular VPN's is IP addresses that are blacklisted and marked as network sharing devices. Which result sin issues with many sites. A VPN with blacklisted and known IP addresses isn't much of a VPN. There are a lot of providers out there. who actually provide real VPN service, clean IP addresses and real privacy. But it's none of the ones being touted as the best VPN by the various fake review sites.

I agree that online VPN reviews are garbage and pretty much bought and paid for. I am curious who you feel "actually provides real VPN service....."