What's new

VPN setup with Merlin 386.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Katy

Occasional Visitor
Hello-I have a new Asus AX88U and I am trying to set up a new VPN connection using the VPN client. I am using firm version 386.1_2. Every time I upload a OVPN file, I upload the file and it says it is complete, but it then refresh and resets the screen again asking me to choose a file. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong. Thank you for your help.

After flashing to 386.1_2, did you do a full reset to factory defaults? Including formatting the JFFS partition on the next boot (and hitting 'Apply', before rebooting)?

I got the router today and all I did was load merlin firmware. It came with factory default settings. I am not sure how to do a JFFS partition.

After flashing to 386.1_2, did you do a full reset to factory defaults? Including formatting the JFFS partition on the next boot (and hitting 'Apply', before rebooting)?
This has nothing to do with his configuration...

Hello-I have a new Asus AX88U and I am trying to set up a new VPN connection using the VPN client. I am using firm version 386.1_2. Every time I upload a OVPN file, I upload the file and it says it is complete, but it then refresh and resets the screen again asking me to choose a file. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong. Thank you for your help.
This is normal. When you upload a config file, its content gets imported, and applied to the settings on that page, with any unrecognized setting added to the Custom Settings at the bottom. You should see some fields such as the server address are now visible on that page. After importing your config, you typically need to do any further configuration such as setting the username/password, enabling and configuring Policy-based routing if you wish to use that, and so on.

I thought going from stock to RMerlin firmware a full reset is required though? Even on a new router.

I still do that for all my customers and don't have issues as described above.

I thought going from stock to RMerlin firmware a full reset is required though? Even on a new router.
In general it's not, especially with a new router. Off the top of my head, the only settings that may be incompatible if you actually changed them are related to VPN. Everything else, I automatically handle at boot time, such as Asus's change in the way they store the sshd setting.

So if you come from a stock firmware that is relatively close to mine, there is no need to.

I still do that for all my customers and don't have issues as described above.
What he described is not an issue, it's just the normal behaviour when you import an ovpn file - the ovpn file gets processed, then discarded.

I finally figure it out. Sorry for the confusion. RMerlin, you are right. I do have one question. I want to use VPN in the Asus AX88U because I heard it is better than having the VPN on a FireSticks. I have three fire sticks that will be using VPN. Is there a way I can use VPN client in Asus to run the three Firesticks and everything have it go through the WAN?

I finally figure it out. Sorry for the confusion. RMerlin, you are right. I do have one question. I want to use VPN in the Asus AX88U because I heard it is better than having the VPN on a FireSticks. I have three fire sticks that will be using VPN. Is there a way I can use VPN client in Asus to run the three Firesticks and everything have it go through the WAN?
In this thread we discuss it a bit .. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/problem-setting-up-vpn-client-rt-ac68u-pppoe-issues.71349/

Just use policy based routing and route your firesticks thru VPN and everything else thru Wan. There is a thread somewhere on how to do PBR, if you search you'll find it.

So can I use: 192.168.1.0/24 WAN (To route all traffic via WAN) and my three fire stick - 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 VPN?

So can I use: 192.168.1.0/24 WAN (To route all traffic via WAN) and my three fire stick - 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 VPN?
The WAN rule isn't needed, as anything not in the table will be routed via WAN, just add rules for those 3 firesticks