What's new

VPN setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
I have the ac66-u, running Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.28 Beta 1

Is there a guide out there on how to setup a VPN on this? I ask, because I travel a lot on the road, and use non-secure wifi in airports and hotels. I've read that if I can setup a VPN at home, I can use that internet connection to increase my online safety.
I looked at VPN under the router UI, and it says Set the IP pool for client IP. (Maximum 10 clients). Not sure what this is or means.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
VPN Traveling

When you are traveling do you need to securely connect to your files on your home network or do you just need to connect securely to the Internet from public hotspots?

If you just need a secure connection to the Internet when traveling then you can subscribe to a VPN service and run the client software directly on your smart phones, tablets, laptops, etc. PPTP connections are easier to setup but they are not very secure. If security is very important and/or you are in a local where governments and ISPs block VPN connections then you will need to set up an OpenVPN connection. Some VPN services are free and others charge a monthly fee.

If you want a secure connection to your LAN then you will need to run a VPN service on your router and compatible client software on your devices.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!