What's new

VPN Speed Excessively slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachBum

Regular Contributor
I understand that a VPN connection will slow things down, but this seems excessively slow. I use a AC3200 on RMerlin's 380.57. I connect as a client to PIA and get 34Mb/s, without it I get 224Mb/s.

Here are my settings. Anyone have any suggestions to get my speeds up?

setts1.png

Should I be using different settings?

Should I be using different settings?

Of course not, you should use what works for what you need.

Having said that, changing things from default is usually not recommended either (for most). ;)

See if your provider supports the AES-128-CBC cipher instead of BF-CBC (which is the default you are currently using). It should be slightly faster. But still, don't expect much beyond 50 Mbps out of this router's CPU.

Could also be that the upstream VPN provider is the limiting factor - lots of folks blame the OpenVPN implementation on the router, but few look into what performance is on a PC and compare it back to what they observe on the Router implementation...

OpenVPN is many things - it's secure (when properly set up), it's very portable (e.g. supporting many operating systems and processor architectures), but it's not the fastest thing in the house... in any event, for many, it's good enough.

34Mb/s is not slow by any means...

Are you using PIA? if so
Put AES-128-CBC on port 1197
take out comp-lzo
and disable compression.
You will never get more then 50mbps on your router but the compression and encryption will defiantly help.
from what I see you are probably using Blowfish encryption which will never go past 35 mbps

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sp...cryptions-help-by-sharing-your-results.30506/

Also try these at the custom configuration

tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
ns-cert-type server
auth-nocache
reneg-sec 0
verb 3

Last edited:
OK tried it, no change still the same.

Guess I'll be paying more attention to hardware processor specs on my next router...

Guess I'll be paying more attention to hardware processor specs on my next router...

Considering the speed of your WAN, the only solution is to have the OpenVPN client running on an actual computer, with a desktop-class CPU. No embedded router will give you anywhere close to 200 Mbps of OpenVPN throughput, unless you end up paying more than a PC would cost you.

Considering the speed of your WAN, the only solution is to have the OpenVPN client running on an actual computer, with a desktop-class CPU. No embedded router will give you anywhere close to 200 Mbps of OpenVPN throughput, unless you end up paying more than a PC would cost you.
oK got it. Thanks for your help.

I am building a new house and have many questions about the network and equipment. Ill bring this up and much more in a new post soon...

I can tell you one thing, i had an ac68u, with the settings tweaked for weeks before finding the sweet spot, never got over 32mbps. I got an ac5300, i get my full 60mbps and even the extra 5mbps my isp pushes to compensate for loss on the first try. But, all the sane people i know would rather spend that kind of money on a laptop or something. I do have a heavy infrastructure though, i have a windows server running on a laptop and managing an ESET endpoint remote administrator account.

Sent from my SM-T817W using Tapatalk

I cant't believe it. 87u can do 50 mbps on VPN no sweat. your router should do even more.
I always thought the port to be used is 1194 for PIA?
1194 is only for Blowfish CBC encryption. 1195 is no encryption, 1196 AES-128-cbc 1197 aes-256-cbc
follow this how too. you cant go wrong
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ho...n-firmware-a-step-by-step-how-to-guide.30851/

Last edited:
I cant't believe it. 87u can do 50 mbps on VPN no sweat. your router should do even more.

Well thats the numbers Im getting, measured by the dslreports.com speed test. I'll try it again in the evening and see what I get..