What's new

VPN throughput question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Big Daddy

New Around Here
Hello all,

I'm new to Merlin. I just installed 380.68_4 on a RT-N66u.

I have a question in regards to throughput speed utilizing the VPN client on the router.

I ran a speed test on my laptop (MacBook Pro) prior to configuring the client and have a download speed of 90 Mbps.

I then logged into my OpenVPN service from the client on my laptop and ran the test again getting 87 Mbps.

I then disconnected from the VPN on my laptop's client and connected from the router's client to the same VPN server and ran the test again. My speed throttles down to 10 to 11 Mbps.

Is this a config issue on the routers VPN client, or a processor limitation issue of the router...or am I missing something completely?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Cheers!

Mostly processor. With optimum settings and using a nearby server 15 Mbps is possible on an N66.

This is normal speed for N66U

Does anyone know what the speed should be for an 87U? I am experiencing the same situation.

with RT-AC66U_B1 and latest Merlin release, I'm getting 24MBps through OpenVPN Client connected to PIA in US-San Jose (about 20 miles from where I live).

with RT-AC66U_B1 and latest Merlin release, I'm getting 24MBps through OpenVPN Client connected to PIA in US-San Jose (about 20 miles from where I live).

PIA can definitely be faster as they let you dial back the encryption.

PIA can definitely be faster as they let you dial back the encryption.
Thanks. I'm using AES-128-CBS on the OpenVPN connection. My broadband provider service is 18MBps (minimum), so I'm happy to see higher speeds like this.