What's new

VPN traffic shows as UPLOADS in QOS..... ASUS BUG

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yorgi

Very Senior Member
I have tried this in the 87U and 66U
all traffic from VPN shows up as UPLOADS in the QOS Bandwidth Monitor.

This is an ASUS bug.
I put original Firmware from ASUS on my router and their firmware does the exact same thing.
I thought it was a Merlin bug but its not.

This is something that everyone should complain to ASUS.
I don't understand how they can put out products that are seriously flawed right out of the box.

Seriously to have a QOS wired up backwards?

what are you comments?

Last edited:
The VPN code as a whole is the same in Asus's firmware, there are only very minor differences such as (specifically) the CPU affinity code.

It all comes down to how that interacts with the Linux tc architecture, which isn't in my areas of expertise. Not gonna devote multiple hours just learning how tc works, then more hours in understanding how it's implemented in Asuswrt. That would all be before I can even start to TRY to debug the code itself.

So as a general rule, I never touch the QoS code itself. Asus has a single engineer devoted ONLY to dealing with that code. It's something that's quite specialized.

When I asked Merlin if he could fix this issue he replied.
I agree with him that its something that ASUS has to fix and its not his problem.

I guess the only way we can get this fixed is if everyone complains to ASUS :)

actually its not a bug, because vpn counts as upload too. if you've ever used a configurable router and have interfaces that operate over other interfaces the go into the in and out stats of that interface.

actually its not a bug, because vpn counts as upload too. if you've ever used a configurable router and have interfaces that operate over other interfaces the go into the in and out stats of that interface.
I guess the only way to go around this issue is to add another router to the existing one and use it only for VPN?.
The VPN routers QOS would be disabled and the main router should see the VPN router as regular traffic and prioritize it according to the rules I set?
Then I would be able to have a proper working QOS?

Last edited:
that could work. Its much easier to do on a configurable router.
Isn't the ASUS a configurable router with JFFS scripts?
I am confused when you say its much easier with a configurable router
Which configurable router would you recommend?

Last edited:
By configurable usually a router that can apply rules and such without restriction. Scripts only do management. You cant for example do both bandwidth and priority QoS on asus routers but you can on a configurable router. Examples would be a linux/unix server, ubiquiti, mikrotik, cisco IOS, juniper.
A simple mikrotik example would be on demo.mt.lv

By configurable usually a router that can apply rules and such without restriction. Scripts only do management. You cant for example do both bandwidth and priority QoS on asus routers but you can on a configurable router. Examples would be a linux/unix server, ubiquiti, mikrotik, cisco IOS, juniper.
A simple mikrotik example would be on demo.mt.lv
Now I see why you are a very senior member :)
My friend I throw in the towel because I am not an expert on cisco or mikrotik routers and they seem to be very expensive for a home network.
For you it maybe simple but for me it seems scary :(
Besides I don't think consumers should have to go through all this trouble to get a VPN and Local ISP to happen.
ASUS works already with the exception of the QOS.
So i think i will stick with my 87u for now. Besides for local ISP the QOS works fine.
It would be nice if the VPN would go through the Download this way it would work better.
hopefully Asus will fix this issue. unless they think like you then they wont :(
thanks for the help :)

you can find mikrotik and ubiquiti hardware much cheaper than consumer wifi routers. For example the mikrotik 9xx series, some of them have AC wifi but with a MIPS CPU and they are cheaper than ASUS and they tend to come with things you dont get with a consumer router such as mini PCIe (you can upgrade wifi), SFP (as a router with fibre optics you wont need a modem) and some even have a SIMcard slot. Ubiquiti has their indoor UAC APs that i heard have a model below $100.

Ofcourse you would have to know how to configure them. The best things like cisco IOS, juniper all cost a lot more including cisco's line of wifi APs.

If you are good with the command-line, you can configure traffic-shaping/QoS manually using iptables & tc.

All(?) AsusWRT variants come with the HFSC queueing algorithm, which is probably the most capable algorithm around. The QoS on Asus devices is just as capable as any top-tier device.

It's surely possible to classify & configure your QoS optimally, but HFSC & iptables/tc are built for capability, not usability, so they are a pain in the butt to configure. There is no GUI or automation. You have to know what you want.

This is my p0int. The asus 87U is a monster router and its QOS is great. If only they would make the download traffic as download and not reversed then I wouldn't be complaining.
But guys seriously your day jobs are probably network admins mine isn't :/
I just want to run a home network that has a vpn and local traffic as I am doing now. the QOS is there :(
oh well maybe ASUS will fix this one day
but I still cant believe that they would let that go like that and have selling points about their QOS and VPN on the box
oh well good marketing I guess

Disregarding the improper classifications, are you having any actual problems?

In my limited experience, GUI stuff is often not a priority. The true priority (as it should be) is the behind-the-scenes stuff. Often, consumer-grade (and even professional-grade) firmwares are mostly a GUI overlay to well-established Linux/FreeBSD code. So, a GUI error/bug might not actually mean there is a bug in the networking functions.

there is because when I manually put my speed in the QOS for upload and download which is 8mbps down and 1mbps up
as soon as I download with the vpn the QOS wont give me more then 1mbps on the download because it thinks its upload
I did numerous tests with lowest and highest priorities down to mac address etc and never got the VPN traffic and Local ISP traffic to work together.
anytime I use the VPN because the QOS sees it as an UPLOAD it will give full priority even though its set by mac address to be lowest priority.
The QOS in Asus prioritizes uploads and there is really nothing I can do about it when its reversed.

there is because when I manually put my speed in the QOS for upload and download which is 8mbps down and 1mbps up
as soon as I download with the vpn the QOS wont give me more then 1mbps on the download because it thinks its upload
I did numerous tests with lowest and highest priorities down to mac address etc and never got the VPN traffic and Local ISP traffic to work together.
anytime I use the VPN because the QOS sees it as an UPLOAD it will give full priority even though its set by mac address to be lowest priority.
The QOS in Asus prioritizes uploads and there is really nothing I can do about it when its reversed.

That does seem botheringly backwards.

If possible, disable all download QoS and only configure upload. See if that helps.

Did you try to simply enter them backwards and see if it works correctly then?

localisp.jpg
VPN.jpg
That does seem botheringly backwards.

If possible, disable all download QoS and only configure upload. See if that helps.
If I did that then the Local Internet traffic would go to a stand still.
if I would disable VPN the qos works fine witn Local ISP traffic
as soon as the VPN comes in anything I do to the QOS wont make a difference.
If i changed download traffice rules then VPN gets priority and local ISP gets to do the crawl.
I would want my VPN box to get lowest priority and Local ISP highest priority but the way its wired this will never happen unless ASUS fixes it.
Look at the pictures for reference and take a look at the QOS picture for prioritize upload and download
its not doable :(

Last edited: