What's new

vpn turning itself off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I use an rt ac 88 u running M19 (I know I should update to 386.1.2 but I need to get in when no one needs to access the router for a couple of hours UNO not being able to access the UI for a bit )
I swapped from using a VPN to using express VPN,s streaming service ( smart DNS) about a year ago because when the NBN came to Australia i swapped my ISP to TPG and for whatever reason I had trouble loading Amazon Prime. A couple of weeks ago TPG sent me an email saying that they were upgrading us from the 50 mbs to the 100 mbs plan for 6 months at no extra cost so I thought I'd give the VPN another go and it works aok .
my question,finally the VPN turns itself off after a week , at least at this stage I think its every 7 days. The server is still staying on but the location turns off and yes I do have the box ticked that enables it to turn on after a reboot. What's going on? What am I missing ?

...finally the VPN turns itself off after a week , at least at this stage I think its every 7 days. The server is still staying on but the location turns off...

I don't follow. First you say the server turns itself off, then you say it stays on, which is it? Also, I assume you mean OpenVPN client, you weren't specific, other than mentioning ExpressVPN.

Assuming it is ExpressVPN...

You should look at the OpenVPN client log whenever it fails to look for clues.

It's not uncommon for an OpenVPN provider to kick off users (because the system is overloaded, needs maintenance, etc.) by killing the connection to the server from their side. Any further attempts by the OpenVPN client to reconnect are prevented by causing the authentication process to fail (it may actually say something to that effect in the log, which is why you need to check it). And when an authentication failure occurs, the OpenVPN client will NOT retry under the assumption the username/password is just wrong for some reason and it's not going to change. So it just flat out quits, i.e., the OpenVPN process exits, which you experience as an OFF state in the GUI.

One way to combat this problem is to specify more than one OpenVPN server (remote directive) in the config file, so your OpenVPN client can try other servers that hopefully are available. But if you leave it configured w/ only one server (as so many do), you're hanging all your hopes on that one little ol' server being available 24/7, without exception, and that's just not likely to happen. Eventually, all of them come down from time to time, sometimes even on a predictable basis.

Last edited:
sorry I mean the server stays on and the client will turn off . Regarding having more than one client on I was going to ask about that but my post was so long already I didn't want to bore anyone to death . I have been meaning to ask about it so thanks you have answered that question for me . I wasn't sure if the reason for 5 clients was to simply have different locations saved and on hand,so to speak,or if in fact it's how you said ,In case one client fails it will go to the backup. In this situation I assume that I would have both,,automatic start at boot time,,boxes ticked?

sorry I mean the server stays on and the client will turn off . Regarding having more than one client on I was going to ask about that but my post was so long already I didn't want to bore anyone to death . I have been meaning to ask about it so thanks you have answered that question for me . I wasn't sure if the reason for 5 clients was to simply have different locations saved and on hand,so to speak,or if in fact it's how you said ,In case one client fails it will go to the backup. In this situation I assume that I would have both,,automatic start at boot time,,boxes ticked?

I'm NOT talking about having multiple concurrent instances of the OpenVPN client active (#1, #2, etc.). I'm talking about having *one* instance of the OpenVPN client (e.g., #1) configured for *multiple* servers.

When you configure the OpenVPN client and specify the Server Address and Port in the GUI, that becomes a "remote" directive in the client config file. But it's possible to have *multiple* remote directives (servers) in that client config file, NOT just the one from the GUI. And you can add more remote directives via the custom config field, as I described further down in that link I provided. That makes it possible for that one OpenVPN client to choose among *many* servers, which is esp. important should one or more NOT be available.

If you add additional remote directives to the OpenVPN client instance (e.g., #1), it makes multiple servers available. I nor you know which, if any, of those servers is ON (i.e., willing to accept connections) since they are controlled by the OpenVPN provider. The OpenVPN client will try one remote/server after another until it finally gets connected. But at any given time, the client is only connected to one of those servers. If later on the connection fails for any reason, it will run through the same remotes/servers until it gets connected again.

Last edited:
Hello

I am new to the vpn configuration.

I have an asus RT-AC5300 router with a 1gb / 600mb connection.

I activated a VPN on my LG smart TV but every morning (4h) when my router restarts the vpn does not start up. However I checked the "automatic restart" box.

Can you give me the tutorial to add additional remote directives?

Thank you

Hello

I am new to the vpn configuration.

I have an asus RT-AC5300 router with a 1gb / 600mb connection.

I activated a VPN on my LG smart TV but every morning (4h) when my router restarts the vpn does not start up. However I checked the "automatic restart" box.

Thank you

There's an OpenVPN client running on the *TV* that does NOT restart? I just want to be sure I have that correct. Because most ppl on these forums are having issues w/ the OpenVPN client that's running on their router.

And afaik, there is no "automatic restart" option on the router. What are you referring to? An automatic restart of the router's OpenVPN client, or the router itself?

Also, are you running Merlin or OEM firmware?

IOW, you need to be more precise. Your references are bit ambiguous.

Bonjour

l'option "démarrage automatique au démarrage" sous le bouton "ON"

Lorsque je redémarre le routeur, le client

VPN est désactivé sur le téléviseur, il n'y a pas de client VPN.

Le client VPN s'exécute du routeur au téléviseur

Je suis sous le firmware merlin 386_3.2

merci

Attachments

• Capture d’écran du 2021-10-29 11-25-13.png
    Capture d’écran du 2021-10-29 11-25-13.png
    477.6 KB · Views: 90