What's new

VPN via a PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I am wanting to set up a VPN for a Roku device via a Windows 10 tablet but I am not sure how to go about it.Can someone please explain the set up process or if there is a link to a set up process that would be great.ps I use express VPN on my router

Last edited:
I am wanting to set up a VPN for a Roku device via a Windows 10 tablet but I am not sure how to go about it.Can someone please explain the set up process or if there is a link to a set up process that would be great.ps I use express VPN on my router

What exactly are you trying to do?

1. Do you want to have the VPN run on your tablet, use the tablet as a hotspot and then have your Roku connect to the Internet using the tablet.

2. You mention having the VPN running on a router. Can the Roku using its built in WiFi connect to the router where the VPN is running?

3. Or are you asking a simple question the hard way and what you really want to do is administer your router and setup a VPN bu signing into the router using your tablet?

Last edited:
What exactly are you trying to do?

1. Do you want to have the VPN run on your tablet, use the tablet as a hotspot and then have your Roku connect to the Internet using the tablet.

2. You mention having the VPN running on a router. Can the Roku using its built in WiFi connect to the router where the VPN is running?

3. Or are you asking a simple question the hard way and what you really want to do is administer your router and setup a VPN bu signing into the router using your tablet?
Sorry yes I am wanting to set it up as a virtual router.I have gone through the motions but when you try to connect to my express VPN connection I don't have internet connection.When I ran the Windows check it said that the DHCP was not connected / set up so I got Windows to resolve it.Now I am not sure what I did wrong?

Sorry yes I am wanting to set it up as a virtual router.I have gone through the motions but when you try to connect to my express VPN connection I don't have internet connection.When I ran the Windows check it said that the DHCP was not connected / set up so I got Windows to resolve it.Now I am not sure what I did wrong?
The router I use is an Asus rt ac 88 u and at the moment I am using the express VPN smart DNS servers to stream.Do you think that is the problem? Do I need to turn it off first? The reason I am wanting to use the table is that a have been having trouble connecting to certain apps like Hulu and amazon so that though I would see if the problem persists when using the tables CPU

1. Many streaming video providers block connections using VPNs. Some VPN providers may have certain servers for which the streaming service hasn't detected and blocked the IP range. I don't know how they block smart DNS or if they even try.

2. Before trying to see if you can set your tablet up as a hotspot and also run and share the VPN I would suggest you look in the app store and see if you can find the Express VPN app that will run on your W10 tablet and then try streaming, Amazon, Hula etc. If that works then you can try setting up the hotspot and having your Roku connect. I know the app I have for my W10 PC has an option to share the VPN connection with other devices which would be a step towards what you want to accomplish but I have never tried this option.

You might have better success just casting the video stream from your tablet to the TV without involving the Roku.

1. Many streaming video providers block connections using VPNs. Some VPN providers may have certain servers for which the streaming service hasn't detected and blocked the IP range. I don't know how they block smart DNS or if they even try.

2. Before trying to see if you can set your tablet up as a hotspot and also run and share the VPN I would suggest you look in the app store and see if you can find the Express VPN app that will run on your W10 tablet and then try streaming, Amazon, Hula etc. If that works then you can try setting up the hotspot and having your Roku connect. I know the app I have for my W10 PC has an option to share the VPN connection with other devices which would be a step towards what you want to accomplish but I have never tried this option.

You might have better success just casting the video stream from your tablet to the TV without involving the Roku.
Ok thanks I downloaded the express VPN app last night so I will check out whether or not I can use it to stream on my Roku.Having said that I checked to see if it was still a problem and it connected to Hulu and Amazon in record time.I really don't know what is going on.I did set the QoS so that media streaming was at the top instead of gaming but I really don't think it was that.It may be as simple as express VPN were having trouble and have fixed things but they would never admit that so I will never know.Thanks for your help RGDS Roy

I'm not sure if the Windows tablet will behave differently but when I run a hotspot on my Android device and have my the VPN client active on the Android device the clients who connect to the wifi hotspot provided by the Android device do not get their data routed through the tunnel. The client also needs to have a vpn client running also.

I'm not sure if the Windows tablet will behave differently but when I run a hotspot on my Android device and have my the VPN client active on the Android device the clients who connect to the wifi hotspot provided by the Android device do not get their data routed through the tunnel. The client also needs to have a vpn client running also.
Thanks for your response I am going to have a Tinker with it when I get home from work I'll see how I go . Having said that when I checked to see if my VPN was still an issue it connected in record time so I don't know if express VPN were having trouble and have fixed it or what is going on.I did however set up my tablet as a virtual router but I didn't connect the Roku up to it so it can't be that. I do have the Roku device connected to the router and the tablet also so unless it's going through the router and the tablet ? But I don't think it works that way. It's always the same isn't it when you have something playing up as soon as you ask for help and get it it stops playing up.