What's new

VPN VLAN problem on Tomato router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beauchampy

New Around Here
Hi guys, I'm new here but I hoped someone could help me.

I have an Asus N-16 running Tomato 1.28.

Goal:

Two VLANs
VLAN1 - Clear from VPN, normal traffic to/from ISP.
VLAN2 - All traffic and devices routed through VPN

Method:

I sucessfully created the two VLANs and have VLAN1 configured to use 192.168.1.x and VLAN2 to use 172.16.0.x

I have my vpn (IVPN.net) set up as per the instructions on their website.

I then did the following.

VPN Tunneling -> OpenVPN Client -> Client 1 -> Advanced -> Checked 'Ignore Redirect Gateway (route-nopull).

Routing Policy -> Check 'Redirect through VPN, and added my computer on VLAN2 as both 'From Source IP' and 'To Destination IP' (both fields 172.16.0.2)

Result / Problem:

IVPN.net has a handy indicator at the top of the site, letting you know if you detected IP address is that of one of it's VPN servers or your normal public IP.

When connected to VLAN1
IVPN indicates that I am disconnected from it's services and I have my public IP from my ISP. I can browse the internet, however, going to BBC iplayer it tells me that I am outside of the UK. My local IP address confirms that I am on VLAN1 (192.168.1.x)

When connected to VLAN2
IVPN indicates that I am connected and traffic is encrypted. BBC iPlayer also doesn't work (expected).

What I can't figure out, is why BBC iplayer does not work when connected to VLAN1?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.