What's new

VPN vs proxy servers ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
Can anyone please tell me if ddns & proxy servers differ from a VPN when it comes to your internet provides is concerned.I know that when streaming, say via a VPN,pretty much keeps your internet provides in the dark as to what you are doing with your data.Is it the same when streaming via a proxy server or not .Just curious hmmm???

Proxies are generally not encrypted.

Proxy is rarely used to "bypass" ISP snooping/controls...it is to bypass remote site filters/tracking. A VPN can do the same thing as a proxy, but it also can help bypass your local ISP snooping/controls since it is an encrypted tunnel.

A proxy is generally configured at the application layer while a VPN is configured at the network layer. Most browsers are easily configurable for a proxy, but many other apps have little to no proxy support. Since the VPN works at the network layer, application support isn't required.

Proxy is rarely used to "bypass" ISP snooping/controls...it is to bypass remote site filters/tracking. A VPN can do the same thing as a proxy, but it also can help bypass your local ISP snooping/controls since it is an encrypted tunnel.

A proxy is generally configured at the application layer while a VPN is configured at the network layer. Most browsers are easily configurable for a proxy, but many other apps have little to no proxy support. Since the VPN works at the network layer, application support isn't required.
Ok thanks for your explanation.I am never sure whether to use a VPN or a proxy server to stream media, thanks for your detailed information about the two