What's new

VPNClient issue - 384.9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alback

New Around Here
I have 5 VPNclient configured in my AC86U device. Only used 2 or 3 in 384.8 merlin firmware. My problem is that following the change over to Merlin 384.9 firmware, when I log out or reboot my AC86U, it resets my VPN device to Client 4. This happens frequently, not every time. It can happen when I have a different Client set as being used, it can happen when I do not have any VPNclients being ON at all. I still get great bandwidth using my VPNclients, just annoying that it switches without warning, either online or not.

I have 5 VPNclient configured in my AC86U device. Only used 2 or 3 in 384.8 merlin firmware. My problem is that following the change over to Merlin 384.9 firmware, when I log out or reboot my AC86U, it resets my VPN device to Client 4. This happens frequently, not every time. It can happen when I have a different Client set as being used, it can happen when I do not have any VPNclients being ON at all. I still get great bandwidth using my VPNclients, just annoying that it switches without warning, either online or not.

By any chance have you selected VPN Client 4 to start at boot time?

If you have all five clients configured to use the same VPN provider, most VPN providers will only let you run one client on a single device even if they will allow you to run five instances on five devices. If you have autostart on some or all the clients and they are all from the same provider this may be causing problem so pick only one or none to start with a router reboot.

If your VPN provider will allow multiple clients on a single device then each client must be configured to use a different port and the specific settings that go with that port.

Hi, thank you for your reply.
Good point but I don't believe I have set Client 4, or any other to start upon boot time, to be honest I don't know where to make this setting. I input 5 VPNclient settings, with only one client being set to ON at a time. They are all the same provider, using different servers based upon IP address between US vs Canada, and server activity. The port selection is determined by the file provided by the server, and they are same from each location.
Also, I found that even if I have another ClientVPN turned on, I could get back into my settings to find that Client 4 was turned on as well. Strange as I recall checking before logging out to ensure the Client 4 was off while using another. Then see Client 4 turned on as well later on.
Another good point you make is the log, I have saved my system log file to see if I can notice anything.

Last edited:
Hi, thank you for your reply.
Good point but I don't believe I have set Client 4, or any other to start upon boot time, to be honest I don't know where to make this setting. I input 5 VPNclient settings, with only one client being set to ON at a time. They are all the same provider, using different servers based upon IP address between US vs Canada, and server activity. The port selection is determined by the file provided by the server, and they are same from each location.
Also, I found that even if I have another ClientVPN turned on, I could get back into my settings to find that Client 4 was turned on as well. Strange as I recall checking before logging out to ensure the Client 4 was off while using another. Then see Client 4 turned on as well later on.
Another good point is I have saved my system log file to see if I can notice anything.

Here is where it is.

Attachments

• BootStartVPNClient.png
    BootStartVPNClient.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 298
Great, thanks for this. Mine was not set to start at boot.
What I have done is changed the setting of Client4 to another server, one that I will want on 90% of the time. Upon checking your BootStart pic in my settings, I set this new server to come on with BootStart. Hoping this solves the connect/disconnect issues.
Once again thanks.

If that doesn't fix the problem time to hit the software reset button and do a factory reset and then reenter your settings since no one else seems to be having your problems. Do not restore from saved settings.

If that doesn't fix the problem time to hit the software reset button and do a factory reset and then reenter your settings since no one else seems to be having your problems. Do not restore from saved settings.
So far, the change in Client 4 has worked. I am also getting excellent download speeds, peaked as high as 22000KB/s during a 1.2 G file using this VPN client.
I have prepared for a factory reset if it becomes necessary.
Thank you for taking the time to assist me with my issue.

Last edited: