What's new

VPNMON VPNMON Instructions!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cofetym

I can pretty much install anything if the instructions go to plan. Had some issue but it looks like I might have installed this correctly.
Those that this comes easy to your expertise would be greatly appreciated. Would it be possible if someone has time, to write up
setup instructions on github for VPNMON installation.
John did a fantastic write up on saving setups on routers. I have his steps printed and they have been valuable.
I really appreciate the time a talents that coders put into this forum. Keep up all the good work!

I can pretty much install anything if the instructions go to plan. Had some issue but it looks like I might have installed this correctly.
Those that this comes easy to your expertise would be greatly appreciated. Would it be possible if someone has time, to write up
setup instructions on github for VPNMON installation.
John did a fantastic write up on saving setups on routers. I have his steps printed and they have been valuable.
I really appreciate the time a talents that coders put into this forum. Keep up all the good work!
I'd be happy to help... what kind of road block did you hit? Perhaps I can expand upon those and include them in the OP of VPNMON-R2? ;)

Hi! Viktor,

I read from a previous post that someone had issues with jffs.
I had that same issue also, after entering the first line of opening code. Gained access once done by typing in "vpnmon". Could not enter any other codes afterwards.
Might also be nice to get back into the system, once installation is complete through ssh similar to Diversion. Once installed just type in "Vpnmon".
Do you need to turn on each client that is added? I have turned them off now, thinking that Vpnmon will switch them on if needed. Do I have this information correct in my mind? What settings in the list need to be selected at a minimum?
Just a few thoughts and issues for now! While I may never code I really enjoy tinkering:)

Hi! Viktor,

I read from a previous post that someone had issues with jffs.
I had that same issue also, after entering the first line of opening code. Gained access once done by typing in "vpnmon". Could not enter any other codes afterwards.
Might also be nice to get back into the system, once installation is complete through ssh similar to Diversion. Once installed just type in "Vpnmon".
Do you need to turn on each client that is added? I have turned them off now, thinking that Vpnmon will switch them on if needed. Do I have this information correct in my mind? What settings in the list need to be selected at a minimum?
Just a few thoughts and issues for now! While I may never code I really enjoy tinkering:)
Ah. Yeah, I am assuming people, if they have gotten to this point, already have JFFS enabled on their router - but good point!

Calling the script requires you to specify a command line switch to tell it what you want to do. Configuring it, setup, monitoring mode, logs, all have their separate switches. The easiest way to see what they all are is using the command:

Code:
cd /jffs/scripts
sh vpnmon-r2.sh -help

In the first 2 posts of the VPNMON-R2 thread, I have outlined some sample commands and given some explanations. It also shows how you should configure your VPN slots. Yes, they should all be off, as the script will turn them on (one at a time) when needed.

Try using the default settings at first and if something needs a tweak based on your environment, simply go into the config, and make that change. It's pretty flexible

I will work on some more detailed instructions.

Thank you, Viktor.

Viktor, Will vpnmgr clash with vpnmon-2?

Hey Viktor, I'm not sure if you would know this but some people (maybe just me) are using unbound with the following Unbound VPN script.

Code:
https://github.com/MartineauUK/Unbound-Asuswrt-Merlin/blob/dev/unbound_DNS_via_OVPN.sh

More info here;

Do you know if this script would mess with your script? The unbound_DNS script basically allows DNS packets to appear to originate off in VPN host provider and not the WAN ISP host provider.

In other words, the router should resolve through the DNS provided in your WAN settings and everything else should resolve through unbound with your VPNs IP

Hey Victor, I'm not sure if you would know this but some people are using unbound with the following Unbound VPN script.

Code:
https://github.com/MartineauUK/Unbound-Asuswrt-Merlin/blob/dev/unbound_DNS_via_OVPN.sh

More info here;

Do you know if this script would mess with your script? The unbound_DNS script basically allows DNS packets to appear to originate off in VPN host provider and not the WAN ISP host provider.
My script doesn't care what you do. It just checks to make sure it's up and running, and if it's not, it tries to reconnect. In other words, it should work just fine. I haven't heard any screams about this, so... ;)

Hi! Viktor, I have 5 different vpn servers listed in the same state. Something is duplicating the same server, but not sure what it is?
Another thing that I noticed that you cannot log out of VPNMON-R2
or do anything using (R) (S) or (E). I might be missing something!

Thanks, For all that you do...

Hi! Viktor, I have 5 different vpn servers listed in the same state. Something is duplicating the same server, but not sure what it is?
How do you mean "duplicating"? Did you apply the same config you downloaded from your VPN provider to each of your VPN slots? If so, that would probably do it? If you're using NordVPN, Perfect Privacy or SurfShark, they would override these profiles with random servers across your country if you enable SuperRandom? Perhaps share some more info/screenshots in order to help you with this?

Another thing that I noticed that you cannot log out of VPNMON-R2
or do anything using (R) (S) or (E). I might be missing something!

Thanks, For all that you do...
Again, not understanding the situation? Can you CTRL-C? When hitting the "S" key, do you not see it go into the setup screen? Perhaps send some more details or screenshots so I can try to duplicate your scenario? Thank you! :)

Super Random is on so now that makes sense then.
Ctrl- C works.Thanks!

System is turning on more than 1 server at a time... 4 out of 5 ( normal or not)?

Super Random is on so now that makes sense then.
Ctrl- C works.Thanks!

System is turning on more than 1 server at a time... 4 out of 5 ( normal or not)?
Definitely not normal. If VPNMON-R2 detects more than 1 connection running, it should kill everything and only turn on 1 VPN client. Do you have any other scripts that could be starting these up, or perhaps have the "auto start" setting enabled under the client settings? All VPN clients should be by default configured to be in the Off position.

@cofetym ... Please check this post here on suggested VPN client setting which I use on my end as well. Hopefully this helps?

Definitely not normal. If VPNMON-R2 detects more than 1 connection running, it should kill everything and only turn on 1 VPN client. Do you have any other scripts that could be starting these up, or perhaps have the "auto start" setting enabled under the client settings? All VPN clients should be by default configured to be in the Off position.
I had the auto start on at reboot, now I have this disabled. All of the clients are now off. Thanks for that bit of information!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!