What's new

VPNMON VPNMON-R2 v2.52 -Mar 27, 2023- Monitor your VPN connection's Health (Thread locked/closed)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

About to go out for a couple of hours ... reconvene later ... enjoy your Dinner!

Last edited:
Just realized this was all happening under the VPNMON-R2 thread...
Yes sorry, my bad @Viktor Jaep , hurrying to go out , I'm an idiot (as usual).
Maybe a Mod with Superpowers can move the last few messages over into correct thread?

Last edited:
@Viktor Jaep does VPN monitor script have anything to do with DNS Filter , my DNS Filter settings keep getting reset to default values

does VPN monitor script have anything to do with DNS Filter , my DNS Filter settings keep getting reset to default values
Not sure what other scripts you are running (my lot are in my sig) but I have run VPNMON-R2 pretty much from the start of development and my DNS Filter settings have never disappeared or reset, for reference.

Not sure what other scripts you are running (my lot are in my sig) but I have run VPNMON-R2 pretty much from the start of development and my DNS Filter settings have never disappeared or reset, for reference.
I have listed all the ones I use on my sig, checked with @Ranger802004, and it's not his script,

The mystery continues.

I have listed all the ones I use on my sig, checked with @Ranger802004, and it's not his script,

The mystery continues.
For further explanation on this, WAN Failover will update the resolv.conf (Exception is if AdGuardHome is installed and running) for connected WAN interfaces and removing DNS entries for down WAN interfaces as well as WAN specific NVRAM values for DNS Configuration. @JAX1337 appears to be having the DNS Filter NVRAM values being wiped out which is a completely different set of values.

@Viktor Jaep does VPN monitor script have anything to do with DNS Filter , my DNS Filter settings keep getting reset to default values
No idea. The script doesn't change DNS filter settings. My own settings have not changed either for these last 6 months running this script. Must be something else?

No idea, I'm trying out multiple things

I'm trying to determine what my issue is but I keep seeing this error message after installing and running the M1 command:

Code:
Connection has failed, VPNMON-R2 is executing VPN Reset

Is there a way to see what the issue is? It seems it just keeps restarting, it connects to one of the VPNs than shortly after it gets disconnected again.
Screenshot (24).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (26).png
    Screenshot (26).png
    143.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I'm trying to determine what my issue is but I keep seeing this error message after installing and running the M1 command:

Code:
Connection has failed, VPNMON-R2 is executing VPN Reset

Is there a way to see what the issue is? It seems it just keeps restarting, it connects to one of the VPNs than shortly after it gets disconnected again.

When VPNMON-R2 started, it noticed that none of your VPN slots were active, so it started the procedure to get one connected. It also looks like, according to your VPN states, that your VPN client #5 was in the process of getting connected. Not sure why? Was it stuck? Was something/someone else trying to start it? Do you have any other scripts that might be trying to keep a connection going? I would do a couple of things:

1.) I would make sure each of your slots are set to NOT automatically start
1659199794510.png

2.) I would make sure each of your VPN slots are able to start, and stay connected, by trying each connection one by one, and sliding the "Service State" button to "ON". Then turn it off, and move on to the next slot. If that works for all 5 of them, and your clients are able to get out to the internet through your VPN connection, then there's no reason why VPNMON-R2 would have any issues monitoring your connections to ensure they are staying up.
1659199858583.png

When VPNMON-R2 started, it noticed that none of your VPN slots were active, so it started the procedure to get one connected. It also looks like, according to your VPN states, that your VPN client #5 was in the process of getting connected. Not sure why? Was it stuck? Was something/someone else trying to start it? Do you have any other scripts that might be trying to keep a connection going? I would do a couple of things:

1.) I would make sure each of your slots are set to NOT automatically start
View attachment 43192

2.) I would make sure each of your VPN slots are able to start, and stay connected, by trying each connection one by one, and sliding the "Service State" button to "ON". Then turn it off, and move on to the next slot. If that works for all 5 of them, and your clients are able to get out to the internet through your VPN connection, then there's no reason why VPNMON-R2 would have any issues monitoring your connections to ensure they are staying up.
View attachment 43193
I appreciate the quick response. So none of the VPN slots are set to automatic, and I also made sure each VPN slot works individually.

I have a feeling the Unbound VPN script might be causing the error since I believe it only supports/runs 1 VPN slot at one time. I will remove it and try again.

I appreciate the quick response. So none of the VPN slots are set to automatic, and I also made sure each VPN slot works individually.

I have a feeling the Unbound VPN script might be causing the error since I believe it only supports/runs 1 VPN slot at one time. I will remove it and try again.
You may be right. ;) Perhaps it's being persistent in keeping a VPN connection running. I'm sorry... I haven't looked into this script to see exactly what it does. But definitely best to reduce possibilities to help troubleshoot this.

You may be right. ;) Perhaps it's being persistent in keeping a VPN connection running. I'm sorry... I haven't looked into this script to see exactly what it does. But definitely best to reduce possibilities to help troubleshoot this.
Yep, that was it. I currently removed it and now your script is running smoothly. I'm hoping I may be able to add Unbound VPN script but I'm hoping someone (@Martineau) can assist me in maybe editing my Unbound script to work simultaneously with your script since now I have a DNS leak. Thanks for all your work and providing this nifty script. I really do appreciate it.

Maybe I just need to create a vpnclient1, vpnclient2 etc... route pre-down & route-up script and try to see if this works.
Screenshot (27).png

Last edited:
Yep, that was it. I currently removed it and now your script is running smoothly. I'm hoping I may be able to add Unbound VPN script but I'm hoping someone (@Martineau) can assist me in maybe editing my Unbound script to work simultaneously with your script since now I have a DNS leak. Thanks for all your work and providing this nifty script. I really do appreciate it.

Maybe I just need to create a vpnclient1, vpnclient2 etc... route pre-up down & route-up script and try to see if this works.
View attachment 43204
Great to hear! I feel pretty comfortable that DoT is active and not dealing with any DNS leaks. It's definitely a whole other discussion, and I'm not sure what your end goal is... Using your VPNs DNS servers or something else external, but make sure all your VPN clients are set to "accept DNS configuration" = disabled, and you're using the DNS configured for your WAN. DNS filter should be enabled and using "router" to make sure all queries are going through those WAN DNS servers. Seems to be working great! @eibgrad also made an awesome DNS tool that gives you a better view what exactly is happening on that end. ;)

Last edited:
Maybe I just need to create a vpnclient1, vpnclient2 etc... route pre-down & route-up script and try to see if this works.
Btw, that might very well do the trick... Good thinking!

Btw, that might very well do the trick... Good thinking!
Hey Viktor, just wanted to let you know that I added the additional missing vpnclient2, 3 etc....and I made slight adjustments to the nat-start script. It seems all is working now with the Unbound VPN script.

For whatever reason, I did notice the VPN 1 slot went down but it didn't affect anything and it came back during the next cycle:
Screenshot (31).png

The WAN now shows my IP address versus the location & all looks good so far (I wonder if router restart will mess everything up, but I'll hold off for now : )
Screenshot (30).png

See below, dnsleak.com now shows(no more leaks):
Screenshot (29).png

Last edited:
Hey Viktor, just wanted to let you know that I added the additional missing vpnclient2, 3 etc....and I made slight adjustments to the nat-start script. It seems all is working now with the Unbound VPN script.
Excellent work @Kingp1n! You rock! :) PS. I may need to lean on you for some good documentation on how you accomplished this to include in the overall documentation set!

For whatever reason, I did notice the VPN 1 slot went down but it didn't affect anything and it came back during the next cycle:
That just means that this VPN server wasn't responding to a ping for whatever reason... perhaps they rebooted it. ;) If it's persistently marked as OFFLINE, I would definitely recommend switching to something else. And yeah, the default action is to just notify you... it won't do anything else.

The WAN now shows my IP address versus the location & all looks good so far (I wonder if router restart will mess everything up, but I'll hold off for now : )
BTW, this will happen on occasion when the "free" IP Location API gets busy, and will just default to the IP instead of a city name. You can stop the script and restart it to give it another go, or just wait until the next reset cycle, or force a reset with the "R" option. Reboot only if necessary when you have a lot of dependencies all working in concert like this... right? LOL. I feel the same way. I've got some items that start up automatically that I have to keep an eye on after reboots as well.

See below, dnsleak.com now shows(no more leaks):
That's awesome news... I'm happy to see you've got everything all tidied up and locked down! My results from this test show that I have leaks, but only because I'm using quad9, and not the recommended DNS servers that Nord provides me... but it leaks by design, over DoT. ;)

Last edited: