What's new

VPNMON VPNMON-R2 v2.52 -Mar 27, 2023- Monitor your VPN connection's Health (Thread locked/closed)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In a dual-WAN scenario, the high ping rule will be disabled should the WAN failover to WAN1, due to the fact that it will most likely be a slower more latent device.

Thanks @Viktor Jaep, have pulled my ping back to default 100ms to tighten up WAN0 VPN performance. Bit hard to test the VPN on WAN1 anyway, so I’ll just assume! :)

Calling all WeVPN beta testers! VPNMON-R2 v2.20b1 officially supports WeVPN, including SuperRandom(r) and Multi-Country SuperRandom(r)!! :) I'm looking to see if one of you might be able to please give this a whirl, make sure it behaves OK with WeVPN client slots, is populating your slots with the right info, and randomly making a new connection. If you wouldn't mind posting or PM'ing me a screenshot to make sure everything looks right on your end in the UI? Thank you!! That saves me having to spend $$$ on a WeVPN subscription, but I will if necessary. Lol

1660877666719.png

Please note: WeVPN does not provide server loads (yet), and will incorporate that when it becomes available. Also, they don't provide straight IP addresses for their VPN hosts, which makes it more difficult to make it compatible with Skynet, so these two options are grayed out.

Beta Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.20b1.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Stable Release:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.15.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Last edited:
And for the trifecta... a new VPNMON-R2 release v2.20 is coming your way -- BIG NEWS -- Now supporting WeVPN users! ;)

What's new?
v2.20 - (August 24, 2022)
- MAJOR:
VPNMON-R2 now officially supports WeVPN, including SuperRandom(r) and Multi-Country SuperRandom(r) functionality. Please note: WeVPN does not provide server loads (yet), and will incorporate that when it becomes available. Also, they don't provide straight IP addresses for their VPN hosts, which makes it more difficult to make it compatible with Skynet, so these two options are grayed out.
- CHANGED: Changed the logic that kills VPN client slots to only kill the number of VPN clients you have configured for VPNMON-R2's purposes, and leaves all others alone in case you are using them for other purposes. Thanks to @IKNOWNOTHING for this great suggestion!
- FIXED: Minor code optimizations and tweaks

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.20.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Sample Screenshot:
1661361365769.png

Hi @Viktor Jaep , I've upgraded to the latest version and rebooted my router.
Now, when I try to run VPNMON-R2 in screen mode, I get the following:

Another VPNMON-R2 Screen session is already running...
Would you like to attach to this session?
[y/n]? yThere is a screen on:
20701.vpnmon-r2 (Dead ???)
Remove dead screens with 'screen -wipe'.
There is no screen to be detached matching 20701.

I can still get in via the setup option, but can't seem to run it in the background... Where have I gone wrong? :/

Hi @Viktor Jaep , I've upgraded to the latest version and rebooted my router.
Now, when I try to run VPNMON-R2 in screen mode, I get the following:

Another VPNMON-R2 Screen session is already running...
Would you like to attach to this session?
[y/n]? yThere is a screen on:
20701.vpnmon-r2 (Dead ???)
Remove dead screens with 'screen -wipe'.
There is no screen to be detached matching 20701.

I can still get in via the setup option, but can't seem to run it in the background... Where have I gone wrong? :/
It's just a dead screen that needs to be cleared out. You can use that command "screen -wipe" to kill that old session. After it's gone (make sure using the list function -- screen -ls), try running it again with "VPNMON-R2 -screen".

that seems to have done the trick! thank you :D
Happens to me too at times when I reboot my router while all these scripts are running. Even though the session isn't running any longer under Screen after your router comes back up, it still remembers that session. Kind of a PITA... wondering if I should just issue the "screen -wipe" command before executing a new session. That might be the solution. ;)

I use NordVPN but I am seeing in the log

Error: NordVPN.txt is blank

How do I fix this ?

I use NordVPN but I am seeing in the log

Error: NordVPN.txt is blank

How do I fix this ?
I would double check the spelling of your NordVPN country name in the config? It needs to be exact. Let me know if that helped?

Last edited:
Upgraded to 2.2! When I run the Nordvpn tool on my desktop connected to the router, it says I'm not protected. My wireless laptop is protected just fine. My vpn is wired to my main router...

Last edited:
Upgraded to 2.2! When I run the Nordvpn tool on my desktop connected to the router, it says I'm not protected. My wireless laptop is protected just fine. My vpn is wired to my main router...
Sounds to me that perhaps you're using different DNS settings on your desktop vs. what you're using on your laptop? VPNMON-R2 doesn't decide what's protected or unprotected... that's how you set up your VPN client slots. Let me know what you find out?

Sounds to me that perhaps you're using different DNS settings on your desktop vs. what you're using on your laptop? VPNMON-R2 doesn't decide what's protected or unprotected... that's how you set up your VPN client slots. Let me know what you find out?
DNS is the same but I changed the WAN to Nords and all is well.

SuperRandom seems to be placing 4 servers offline...

DNS is the same but I changed the WAN to Nords and all is well.

SuperRandom seems to be placing 4 servers offline...
If you can't ping a server directly from your router, then it will be marked offline... strange that all 4 of them would get marked. I will have a Nord server every so often go offline, but many times, it'll come back after a while... I would try pinging something from your router (using the built-in ping tool) and making sure the ping command for some reason isn't being blocked somehow. Unusual, but I suppose it could happen?

Last edited:
Unfortunately for me I could not "set it and forget it" with vpnmon-r2 in my environment.
Nordvpn is working much better for me if I set it manually and change servers as needed.
I take my hat off to all the coders out there. For all the skill and convenience they bring to this hobby.
This is such a great forum:)

Unfortunately for me I could not "set it and forget it" with vpnmon-r2 in my environment.
Nordvpn is working much better for me if I set it manually and change servers as needed.
I take my hat off to all the coders out there. For all the skill and convenience they bring to this hobby.
This is such a great forum:)
Thanks for giving it a try! Don't forget, you can also use VPNmon to just monitor your connections, and reconnect your existing connections when they need to be reset. You don't have to use the superrandom functionality, ie. It's not a requirement. ;)

Minor release to v2.21 today, updating the API provider and lockfile check enhancements! Enjoy! :)

What's new?
v2.21 - (September 10, 2022)
- CHANGED:
Replaced the API provider that translates IP to city names from ipapi.co to ip-api.com, which seems to be much more reliable. I have been encountering issues where the ipapi.co service seemed to be overloaded or blocked at many times, requiring VPNMON-R2 to have to resort to displaying a plain IP. The new API from ip-api.com allows for unlimited usage, as long as you stay below 45 requests per minute, which I *think* we can handle! LOL. Needless to say, they've been around since 2012, and seem to have nice infrastructure around the world. Think we'll stay with this for the time being!
- CHANGED: Fixed the way that VPNMON-R2 checks for a lockfile should you run the script with the -reset switch either manually or through a cron job. It is now hyper-aware of this lockfile, and checks for this lockfile throughout the script, as well as during the timer interval.
- FIXED: Minor code optimizations and tweaks

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.21.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Last edited:
Tried to test the script after current FW update and i saw that the killswitch was getting ignored for a few seconds, not sure if there was a conflict from previous installed vpnmgr or some sort of mixup or if vpmon can leak IP during restarts.
When i find the time i'll give it another go on clean and fresh setup.

Tried to test the script after current FW update and i saw that the killswitch was getting ignored for a few seconds, not sure if there was a conflict from previous installed vpnmgr or some sort of mixup or if vpmon can leak IP during restarts.
When i find the time i'll give it another go on clean and fresh setup.
Thanks for the feedback, @eleVator... Just so you know, VPNMON doesn't interfere with the killswitch. It relies on that functionality to work from the firmware side, or however you have configured your VPN slots. VPNMON's only job is to monitor that your connection is up, and reconnects it if it goes down, or has a scheduled reset.

Thanks for the feedback, @eleVator... Just so you know, VPNMON doesn't interfere with the killswitch. It relies on that functionality to work from the firmware side, or however you have configured your VPN slots. VPNMON's only job is to monitor that your connection is up, and reconnects it if it goes down, or has a scheduled reset.
So basically it provides the user with close to real time notifications of what has happen, but doesn't actually mess with any of the dynamics. It is a great tool!