What's new

VPNMON VPNMON-R2 v2.52 -Mar 27, 2023- Monitor your VPN connection's Health (Thread locked/closed)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I didn't do a manual reset, the script itself does this and shows the following message

View attachment 42751
So to be clear... the script isn't functioning for you at all? You are just seeing this "retrying" screen right now?

The only way you would see this screen is if a $LOCKFILE (="/jffs/scripts/VPNMON-R2-Lock.txt") is present on your system in this location. It works fine on my end, but perhaps it doesn't like the long filename thing on your end? I guess I can shorten it to 8chars on the next go-around to see if that makes a difference?

Code:
  while [ -f "$LOCKFILE" ]; do
    # clear screen
    clear
    SPIN=15
    logo
    echo -e "${CGreen} ---------> NOTICE: VPN RESET CURRENTLY IN-PROGRESS <---------"
    echo ""
    echo -e "${CGreen} VPNMON-R2 is currently performing an external scheduled reset"
    echo -e "${CGreen} of the VPN through the means of the '-reset' commandline"
    echo -e "${CGreen} option or scheduled CRON job."
    echo ""
    echo -e "${CGreen} Retrying to resume normal operations every $SPIN seconds...${CClear}\n"

Screenshot of my console when using a commandline -reset, the lockfile is written, and flips over to the same screen you're seeing.
Screenshot 2022-07-13 111948.jpg

And once VPN reset is completed, the lockfile is deleted, the interface changes back to monitoring mode:

Screenshot 2022-07-13 112047.jpg

So you're saying you don't experience the same behavior?

Last edited:
While testing v b5, I turned off WAN0 from GUI, vpnmon worked fine.

As step 2 I turned off wan0 modem and now the script is stuck again and I don't see any TXT file in scripts folder

1657727025095.png

While testing v b5, I turned off WAN0 from GUI, vpnmon worked fine.

As step 2 I turned off wan0 modem and now the script is stuck again and I don't see any TXT file in scripts folder

View attachment 42754
In this particular scenario, it detects that the wan connection is down, but the link is up. It will attempt repeated VPN resets (a lockfile is created), and testing your WAN for connectivity. If there's no connectivity, it will delete the lockfile, and fall back to this screen your seeing, and wait 60 seconds before trying again.

So to be clear... the script isn't functioning for you at all? You are just seeing this "retrying" screen right now?
Yes, even VPN's are disconnected, as the Kill function has already been executed.

In v b5

even reset command doesn't have any effect.
its stuck here

1657727737724.png

There is connectivity, as wan 1 picks up and runs flawlessly

do let me know, if you want to see the logs
I think I found a flaw in the WAN check logic... I'm working on it. ;)

Funny thing, once wan0 came up, the script restarted itself, during which I saw the lock file. Not before.

1657728321574.png

Funny thing, once wan0 came up, the script restarted itself, during which I saw the lock file. Not before.

View attachment 42756
I know it's probably late out there @JAX1337, but I was hoping you could give me feedback on this version. It works fine on my single-WAN connection, and wondering how it would behave with a dual-wan. I did find an issue with the WAN check logic, and should be more friendly for dual-wan environments now. Or if anyone else out there with a dual-wan running VPNMON-R2 wants to give this a shot, failover, load balance, whatnot... would love to hear your feedback:

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.01b6.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

PS. I'm really looking forward to Saturday when I can play around with Dual-WAN! So excited... ;)

Last edited:
That would be great. Nothing like experiencing it first hand.

I didn't do a manual reset, the script itself does this and shows the following message

View attachment 42751

Will try v2.01b5
Hello, had the same problem...Trying v2.01b5 didn't solve my problem...

Had to unistall the script

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2022-07-12, às 19.55.51.png
    Captura de ecrã 2022-07-12, às 19.55.51.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Captura de ecrã 2022-07-13, às 19.48.23.png
    Captura de ecrã 2022-07-13, às 19.48.23.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 60
Hello, had the same problem...Trying v2.01b5 didn't solve my problem...

Had to unistall the script
I made some changes... could you please try v2.01b6?

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.01b6.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Just wanted to say how thankful I am for all the dedicated Asus-Merlin professionals out there, around the globe -- India, Australia, Costa Rica...and more... Thank you all so much for your continued engagement in pursuing this interest in learning as much as you can, and creating the best possible networking environment that continues to suit you, your businesses and your families the best. This would not have been possible without @RMerlin. Thank you so much! :)

Last edited:
I know it's probably late out there @JAX1337, but I was hoping you could give me feedback on this version. It works fine on my single-WAN connection, and wondering how it would behave with a dual-wan. I did find an issue with the WAN check logic, and should be more friendly for dual-wan environments now. Or if anyone else out there with a dual-wan running VPNMON-R2 wants to give this a shot, failover, load balance, whatnot... would love to hear your feedback:

Code:

PS. I'm really looking forward to Saturday when I can play around with Dual-WAN! So excited... ;)

Sorry again, I slept off early, I blame the wine and the meds

With wan0 turned off physically, the script fails to detect WAN connection.

1657769335638.png

This time the script has failed to recover even after wan0 is restored.

Even command line reset didn't work and there is no lock file.

Last edited:
Had to fall back to Stable version 2 as beta 6 was inoperable.

The moment Wan1 came up and changed mode to hot standby, beta 6 would break down and show

1657780919712.png

however, stable version 2 works fine, unless there is a wan fail-over, upon which it gets stuck here for some time

1657781154628.png

Then after an automatic WAN check and reset it works fine
Looks like the answer to our problem is already there, @Viktor Jaep just needs to find it.
On Wan0 fail back also the script goes through the same steps, but after an auto reset it works

1657781928618.png

Last edited:
Sorry again, I slept off early, I blame the wine and the meds

With wan0 turned off physically, the script fails to detect WAN connection.

View attachment 42785

This time the script has failed to recover even after wan0 is restored.

Even command line reset didn't work and there is no lock file.
Ok thanks very much for testing that. I'll have a good opportunity this weekend to really play with it. ;)

@JAX1337 ... I found another error in my logic, which had to do with why even when your WAN1 was up, it was still sitting on that WAN down screen... If you're feeling adventurous... give this a go! :)

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.01b7.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

YAY finally, fail over was handled, just like v2 used to. Even though, there is a slight delay for the first time, when all pings seem to fail.

1657867969771.png

Fail back is way better without even resting vpn connection

1657868079651.png

After Failback

1657868266513.png

If it was possible to do the failover too, graciously, without reset, it would be great. Fail back went smooth.

Last edited:
YAY finally, fail over was handled, just like v2 used to. Even though, there is a slight delay for the first time, when all pings seem to fail.
If it was possible to do the failover too graciously, without reset, it would be great. Fail back went smooth.
@JAX1337 probably a bit Off-Topic but out of interest what do you have as your "wan-failover.sh" settings? Any chance you could list them?
Hoping to have a proper play with VPNMON-R2/Dual WAN Failover sometime in the next week or so, probably when @Viktor Jaep releases the results of his "playing", and I'm trying to work out some sane starting settings to use to configure it up with a 4G USB Dongle as my secondary standby WAN.

Last edited:
@JAX1337 probably a bit Off-Topic but out of interest what do you have as your "wan-failover.sh" settings? Any chance you could list them?
Hoping to have a proper play with VPNMON-R2/Dual WAN Failover sometime in the next week or so, probably when @Viktor Jaep releases the results of his "playing", and trying to work out how I should configure it up with a 4G USB Dongle as my secondary standby WAN.
Yea no problem,

Code:
WAN0TARGET=8.8.8.8
WAN1TARGET=1.1.1.1
PINGCOUNT=5
PINGTIMEOUT=1
WANDISABLEDSLEEPTIMER=60
BOOTDELAYTIMER=15
WAN0_QOS_IBW=512000
WAN1_QOS_IBW=512000
WAN0_QOS_OBW=512000
WAN1_QOS_OBW=512000
WAN0_QOS_OVERHEAD=0
WAN1_QOS_OVERHEAD=0
WAN0_QOS_ATM=0
WAN1_QOS_ATM=0
PACKETLOSSLOGGING=1
SENDEMAIL=1
SKIPEMAILSYSTEMUPTIME=180
EMAILTIMEOUT=30
OVPNSPLITTUNNEL=1
WAN0ROUTETABLE=100
WAN1ROUTETABLE=200
WAN0TARGETRULEPRIORITY=100
WAN1TARGETRULEPRIORITY=100
WAN0MARK=0x80000000
WAN1MARK=0x90000000
WAN0MASK=0xf0000000
WAN1MASK=0xf0000000
LBRULEPRIORITY=150
FROMWAN0PRIORITY=200
TOWAN0PRIORITY=400
FROMWAN1PRIORITY=200
TOWAN1PRIORITY=400
OVPNWAN0PRIORITY=100
OVPNWAN1PRIORITY=200

I would suggest you set WANDISABLEDSLEEPTIMER to a lower value if you need snappier switches and i don't have QOS or yazifi scripts enabled, so it's much simpler for me.

If it was possible to do the failover too, graciously, without reset, it would be great. Fail back went smooth.
Yey! I'm really glad it's finally working!! :) Yeah, I know what you mean, but I'd rather leave it to the built-in functionality or the specialized scripts like @Ranger802004's, which can handle that function much more gracefully. Vpnmon will handle the VPN connection aspects, turning those on and off, but will take a backseat and just report on what it's seeing from the WAN side.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!