What's new

VPNs, policy-based routing and ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roseyhead

New Around Here
Hi all. I'm looking into VPN solutions for home. I don't necessarily want to run everything through the VPN so I'm looking into policy-based routing. My understanding is that I can make traffic on certain ports go through the VPN and leave everything else alone. Is this correct? The policy-based routing page on the project's GitHub wiki says it's possible but the example scripts don't cover this.

Hi all. I'm looking into VPN solutions for home. I don't necessarily want to run everything through the VPN so I'm looking into policy-based routing. My understanding is that I can make traffic on certain ports go through the VPN and leave everything else alone. Is this correct? The policy-based routing page on the project's GitHub wiki says it's possible but the example scripts don't cover this.

Policy based routing on ASUS routers running Merlin can be handled through the GUI by simply assigning devices connecting either by Eternet or WiFi a static IP and then under the policy assign a device to either use the WAN connection or the VPN connection.

If you want to assign specific LAN ports on the router or port 23, 443, etc to WAN or LAN then you will need a scripts.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!