What's new

vsftpd uses 32-bit capabilities

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,
this warning relates to the capabilities of the Linux kernel that Asus uses for their devices. The vsftpd-2.0.4 source hasn't been patched correctly. The fix is to add the line:

#undef VSF_SYSDEP_HAVE_CAPABILITIES
#define VSF_SYSDEP_HAVE_LINUX_SENDFILE
#define VSF_SYSDEP_HAVE_LIBCAP

to the vsftpd-2.0.4/sysdeputil.c source code file. This warning is still in the latest vsftpd v3.0.2, which I have patched before compiling Merlin's source code. After the patch, the syslog warning no longer occurs.

Last edited:
I am seeing this warning on my RT-68C running the latest Merlin FW 380.64.

+1 same to me with AC88U running Merlin FW 380.64
Hi,
this warning relates to the capabilities of the Linux kernel that Asus uses for their devices. The vsftpd-2.0.4 source hasn't been patched correctly. The fix is to add the line:

#undef VSF_SYSDEP_HAVE_CAPABILITIES
#define VSF_SYSDEP_HAVE_LINUX_SENDFILE
#define VSF_SYSDEP_HAVE_LIBCAP

to the vsftpd-2.0.4/sysdeputil.c source code file. This warning is still in the latest vsftpd v3.0.2, which I have patched before compiling Merlin's source code. After the patch, the syslog warning no longer occurs.

Please where is the file located?

Thank you! Happy New Year!

kernel: warning: `vsftpd' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy support in use)

Not really a bug per se - it's just a statement in the log reminding the devs at some point to rebuild it for 64-bit.

There's still a lot of legacy 32-bit code in the newer AsusWRT builds - they've ported over the "important" stuff on a case by case basis where performance can be improved.

Not really a bug per se - it's just a statement in the log reminding the devs at some point to rebuild it for 64-bit.

There's still a lot of legacy 32-bit code in the newer AsusWRT builds - they've ported over the "important" stuff on a case by case basis where performance can be improved.

Only the RT-AC86U and GT-AC5300 have 64-bit CPUs, so everything is 32-bit.

The only exception with these two routers is Strongswan, probably so it can properly interface with the 64-bit kernel crypto modules.

Hello,

Today , i get the same warning on my RT-AX86U Pro with AsusMerlin 3004.388.4 ???

Nov 7 19:38:59 kernel: capability: warning: `vsftpd' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy support in use)