What's new

VyOS for a Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I came across using VyOS as a small router like on this site. This blog made it look real easy.

VyOS from Scratch – Edition 1 – blog.kroy.io

How secure is this? I would think it would be good. Anybody doing this?

What comes to my mind is build an VPN appliance to run inside your network without the NAT and DHCP. My only problem is I don't need VPN any more as I am retired. I would think the VPN would be very fast and move lots of data.

I've come across articles about VyOS in the past and no doubt it's very versatile. The CLI reminds me a lot of Cisco's IOS. But like IOS it strikes me as stuck in a 1990's mindset. Even Cisco has grudgingly had to add a web GUI to their products. Personally, I don't have the patience any more to learn yet another set of incantations unless it offers something I need that the other mainstream distro's don't have. But it would indeed be interesting to hear from anyone that's used it in a real-world setting.

Last edited:
VyOS would make for a really cheap router as it does not need much hardware to run it. I would think this would be on enterprise level firewall for cheap. Sure, want to hear from users.

You pair it with a L3 switch and only have the VyOS router doing WAN to LAN with the L3 switch doing all the local routing. Again, this setup would be enterprise level. Hopefully it handles updates much better than pfsense.