What's new

Wake on wan modem and router setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Monegaskeren

New Around Here
Hello.
I have a few questions about the setup of my home network.

My internetprovider is "Yousee", a cablecompany located in Denmark, which provides the internet through a coaxial cable.
My router is Netgear CG3000.

This router has almost everything i need. Gigabit LAN switch and wireless N, but lacks dual-band and the abillity to allow wake-on-wan. I have succesfully setup wake-on-lan, but I can conclude that the router is blocking the WAN-packet.

On the yousee supportpage it is mentioned that it is possible, though not advised, to disable the routerfunction in the CG3000.
This should make the CG3000 into a modem which I can connect any router to if I register the new router on their website.

This makes me wonder: is the WAN-packet blocking located in the router or the modem? Should I be able to wake my computer from WAN if I disable the router inside the CG3000 and connect it to a router that is approved for wake-on-wan? Or is it simply a limitation that exists inside the modem and nothing I can do about?

If the solution is to buy a new router, which is wake-on-wan-able, which should I buy when my needs are the following:
1 Gbps 4 port LAN switch, wireless N 300Mbps standard dual-band, support for USB-devices like external HDD and printers and of course wake-on-wan-able.
...and of course not too expensive.

Thank you for reading this, and I am sorry about my mediocre english capabilities. I am from Denmark.

- Johnny.

If the CG3000 is set to bridge mode, it should pass all packets through. But just like router "DMZ" modes, implementations can be buggy. So the bridged modem may not be completely transparent.

If it is, then the router will serve as your firewall.

Sorry, but I have no suggestions for routers that properly handle WoL.