What's new

Wake on WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JonesyAX11000

New Around Here
I've just updated my GT-AX11000 to 388.2 and now my port forwarded Wake on Lan doesn't work. If I log directly into the router and use the GUI wake on lan tool my server powers up. I can see the port icon changes from yellow to green. Has there been a change to the power management on ports?

I've just updated my GT-AX11000 to 388.2 and now my port forwarded Wake on Lan doesn't work. If I log directly into the router and use the GUI wake on lan tool my server powers up. I can see the port icon changes from yellow to green. Has there been a change to the power management on ports?
Exactly the same has happened to me on the RT-AX58U and RT-AX86U routers, which then seems to be a generic problem of the 388.2 update, to which no response has been given at the moment, and the only solution that I found it has been reverting to version 388.1... The problem occurs because the ARP table of permanent IPs and MACs is deleted over time and especially when the PCs are turned off...

Last edited:
Thanks. I figured a rollback was probably my best course of action. At least it's a 'known' issue so hopefully it will get fixed.

Thanks. I figured a rollback was probably my best course of action. At least it's a 'known' issue so hopefully it will get fixed.
Okay, I hope so too. However, as an alternative, if you are a router administrator, you can wake up the pcs you want through the Asus router application on your mobile in the Network Tools option, but to make it work outside lan, you have to connect from the mobile to a VPN of the router, for example to the OpenVPN...

which then seems to be a generic problem of the 388.2 update
It`s not. I am unable to reproduce the issue on my GT-AXE16000, a static ARP entry I created was still there two days later when I last tested it.

More likely that this is model-specific, in which case that would be an issue introduced within the Broadcom SDK for those specific models, which is outside of my control.

Thanks, it's always good to know the source of the problem, but now I guess it's going to be very difficult for Asus to restore the possibility of being able to use that function for Wake On Wan with the permanent IPs and MACs created in the JFFS partition that they don't even implement it in their firmware. Do you think there is any hope of a solution? - If not, the only alternative I know it is to use a VPN of the router, OpenVPN for example, to connect to it from outside the lan and turn on the pc we want, either through the router's Web UI on the pc or on the mobile with the Asus router application through the Wake On Lan option of the Network Tools. Or do you know something simpler? - Thank you in advance for your answer, and thank you also for your work. All the best,

Interestingly my RT-AX58U is not having this problem on 388.2. Days after hibernation my computer is still in the ARP table and still reacts to WOL. Maybe the difference is that it is on WiFi?

Interestingly my RT-AX58U is not having this problem on 388.2. Days after hibernation my computer is still in the ARP table and still reacts to WOL. Maybe the difference is that it is on WiFi?
Hi, I've always believed that each device or installation is a world by itself, although in this case the only difference I see with what you're counting is that you're talking about hibernation, and maybe it's also valid for suspend, but in my case These are pcs that are turned off normally and that when necessary are turned on from outside the lan through the ethernet cards (not wifi), a procedure that I use by using a VPN from the router itself (OpenVPN) as if These were local connections without having to open any virtual port on the router. The problem I'm having is from the 388.2 update on the AX58U and AX86U routers, but it works perfectly on older versions like 388.1. However, your case gives me some hope that the issue can be resolved through some change in procedure. Thanks for your interest. All the best...

Another option to try maybe is to do it from the command line:
Bash:
ether-wake -i br0 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

For general information, I will add that on my rt-ax86u this malfunction appeared from version 388.2alpha2, on all previous versions static entries in the ARP work fine.
The malfunction manifests itself, among other things, on an absolutely clean system in which only the logins and passwords of the isp, access to the wireless network and the router administrator are configured.
A static entry in the ARP only dies if it is created for an IP address that is included in the subnet of the router. For example: the router has an IP address of 192.168.50.1, if you create a static entry in arp for IP 192.168.50.254 (arp -i br0 -s 192.168.50.254 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff), then after 5-10 minutes she will die. If you create a static entry in arp for ip 192.168.1.254 (arp -i br0 -s 192.168.1.254 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff), then it will live until the router is rebooted.
I also note that in the official firmware, including the latest 3.0.0.4.388_22525, this malfunction is absent.

Last edited:
For general information, I will add that on my rt-ax86u this malfunction appeared from version 388.2alpha2, on all previous versions static entries in the ARP work fine.
The malfunction manifests itself, among other things, on an absolutely clean system in which only the logins and passwords of the isp, access to the wireless network and the router administrator are configured.
A static entry in the ARP only dies if it is created for an IP address that is included in the subnet of the router. For example: the router has an IP address of 192.168.50.1, if you create a static entry in arp for IP 192.168.50.254 (arp -i br0 -s 192.168.50.254 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff), then after 5-10 minutes she will die. If you create a static entry in arp for ip 192.168.1.254 (arp -i br0 -s 192.168.1.254 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff), then it will live until the router is rebooted.
I also note that in the official firmware, including the latest 3.0.0.4.388_22525, this malfunction is absent.
Fantastic, for me that I am not a technician you are like a genius, since I would never have reached that conclusion. I have reproduced your solution on my broadcast IP 192.168.10.254 on the AX86U router with version 388.1 and at first it has worked perfectly, then I have updated to 388.2, and likewise the permanence in the ARP table has been maintained until now when I report the experiment. Tomorrow and in the next few days I will continue to report on the maintenance of permanence, and also on the transfer of this solution to the AX58U router. And in any case, I thank you very much for your effort to solve this problem that at least for me is very important. All the best,

Yep i can confirm that in official 3.0.0.4.388_22525 it is working and arp is not getting cleared / deleted...

Im gonna try another subnet like you suggest... Thanks a lot also for explaining it in detail in another thread 👍👍

Fantastic, for me that I am not a technician you are like a genius, since I would never have reached that conclusion. I have reproduced your solution on my broadcast IP 192.168.10.254 on the AX86U router with version 388.1 and at first it has worked perfectly, then I have updated to 388.2, and likewise the permanence in the ARP table has been maintained until now when I report the experiment. Tomorrow and in the next few days I will continue to report on the maintenance of permanence, and also on the transfer of this solution to the AX58U router. And in any case, I thank you very much for your effort to solve this problem that at least for me is very important. All the best,
I went back to 388.2alpha1 again, becous the method I described in the post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...available-for-select-models.84524/post-836943 didn't work today and the static entry (192.168.50.254) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff [ether] PERM on br0 died several times in a row. I noticed a pattern here - if, after rebooting the router, the entry (192.168.1.254) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff [ether] PERM on br0 in the console after the arp -a command is above the entry (192.168.50.254) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff [ether] PERM on br0, then the entry (192.168.50.254) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff [ether] PERM on br0 does not die, and if it is below, then it dies . I thought it depends on the sequence of lines in the script, but it turned out not.

No need to thank. My diagnostic methods are very primitive, and may give food for thought to Merlin or anyone else with good knowledge in this area. I hope that soon this malfunction will be fixed by someone, and I will be able to update my RT-AX86U to a newer firmware version than 388.2alpha1. In the meantime, I can not afford it, because the work of static entries in ARP is very important to me.

Last edited:
I went back to 388.2alpha1 again, becous the method I described in the post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...available-for-select-models.84524/post-836943 didn't work today and the static entry (192.168.50.254) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff [ether] PERM on br0 died several times in a row. I noticed a pattern here - if, after rebooting the router, the entry (192.168.1.254) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff [ether] PERM on br0 in the console after the arp -a command is above the entry (192.168.50.254) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff [ether] PERM on br0, then the entry (192.168.50.254) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff [ether] PERM on br0 does not die, and if it is below, then it dies . I thought it depends on the sequence of lines in the script, but it turned out not.

No need to thank. My diagnostic methods are very primitive, and may give food for thought to Merlin or anyone else with good knowledge in this area. I hope that soon this malfunction will be fixed by someone, and I will be able to update my RT-AX86U to a newer firmware version than 388.2alpha1. In the meantime, I can not afford it, because the work of static entries in ARP is very important to me.
Okay, we agree that developers should give this issue some thought to see if they can come up with a technically sound solution, since I'm not very technically savvy myself. I have checked what you say about the position of the IPs after the arp -a command and in my case the MACs remain permanent in the correct position, but I would like to tell you that I have found another way to indicate the MACs in services-start and wake.sh (in jffs partition) following your procedure, which so far has not failed me, although I need more time to confirm it definitively:
192.168.1.254 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (a MAC of a destination pc)
192.168.10.254 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (same MAC of that destination PC)
At the moment they continue as permanent MACs and I have verified that from the Wake On Lan mobile application (with OpenVPN of the router on the mobile) that pc is woken up with the broadcast address, and in the event that you want to wake up other different pcs, the only thing you have to do is to change the corresponding MAC. I will continue reporting the results with more time. All the best,

Okay, we agree that developers should give this issue some thought to see if they can come up with a technically sound solution, since I'm not very technically savvy myself. I have checked what you say about the position of the IPs after the arp -a command and in my case the MACs remain permanent in the correct position, but I would like to tell you that I have found another way to indicate the MACs in services-start and wake.sh (in jffs partition) following your procedure, which so far has not failed me, although I need more time to confirm it definitively:
192.168.1.254 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (a MAC of a destination pc)
192.168.10.254 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (same MAC of that destination PC)
At the moment they continue as permanent MACs and I have verified that from the Wake On Lan mobile application (with OpenVPN of the router on the mobile) that pc is woken up with the broadcast address, and in the event that you want to wake up other different pcs, the only thing you have to do is to change the corresponding MAC. I will continue reporting the results with more time. All the best,
Earlier, even before the appearance of this malfunction, I also used the real mac address of the device, but then I decided that it would be right to use the broadcast mac ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff. This is due to the fact that when using the real MAC addresses of the device's, you will have to create a port forwarding for each device that needs to wake on wan. And if you use a broadcast mac, then you need only one forwarding rule for all. But when I have time, I will try again with the device's real mac address and see.

Earlier, even before the appearance of this malfunction, I also used the real mac address of the device, but then I decided that it would be right to use the broadcast mac ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff. This is due to the fact that when using the real MAC addresses of the device's, you will have to create a port forwarding for each device that needs to wake on wan. And if you use a broadcast mac, then you need only one forwarding rule for all. But when I have time, I will try again with the device's real mac address and see.
Hi, yes, I think you're right in what you say, and I haven't tried it with port forwarding for security reasons, but anyway I would like to tell you that when I did the experiment with real MACs, I later realized that Wi-Fi was activated on the mobile and that when I deactivated it, the WOL stopped working. However, I would also like to tell you that your proposal with MACs of type ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff for the Jffs scripts (services-start and wake.sh) that I reproduced last night continues to work perfectly for me today in the morning in the AX86U router with firmware 388.2, where you can effectively wake up any PC on the network by indicating the real MAC of each device in the Wake On Lan mobile application. After the arp -n (-a) command, the IP 192.168.1.254 appears first, and on the other hand, for security reasons I always use the OpenVPN of the router to connect with the different PCs. It is clear that an administrator can always wake up any pc from outside the lan simply by using the Asus router mobile application also with a previous connection to the router's OpenVPN, whose subnet has connection permission in the router's System Administration. In any case, I will confirm if the results continue to be positive over time, in which case I would also implement them in the same way in another AX58U router to see if this solution also works there. Good weekend with the work party in between. All the best, 😀🌈🌻👏🤛🙋‍♂️

Hi, yes, I think you're right in what you say, and I haven't tried it with port forwarding for security reasons, but anyway I would like to tell you that when I did the experiment with real MACs, I later realized that Wi-Fi was activated on the mobile and that when I deactivated it, the WOL stopped working. However, I would also like to tell you that your proposal with MACs of type ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff for the Jffs scripts (services-start and wake.sh) that I reproduced last night continues to work perfectly for me today in the morning in the AX86U router with firmware 388.2, where you can effectively wake up any PC on the network by indicating the real MAC of each device in the Wake On Lan mobile application. After the arp -n (-a) command, the IP 192.168.1.254 appears first, and on the other hand, for security reasons I always use the OpenVPN of the router to connect with the different PCs. It is clear that an administrator can always wake up any pc from outside the lan simply by using the Asus router mobile application also with a previous connection to the router's OpenVPN, whose subnet has connection permission in the router's System Administration. In any case, I will confirm if the results continue to be positive over time, in which case I would also implement them in the same way in another AX58U router to see if this solution also works there. Good weekend with the work party in between. All the best, 😀🌈🌻👏🤛🙋‍♂️
I tried with the real mac address of the device, the result is the same as with ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff - it all depends on some kind of chance. After four reboots, the static entry in the ARP did not die, after the fifth it died again. The will of chance does not suit me, and i again returned to 388.2alpha1.

I tried with the real mac address of the device, the result is the same as with ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff - it all depends on some kind of chance. After four reboots, the static entry in the ARP did not die, after the fifth it died again. The will of chance does not suit me, and i again returned to 388.2alpha1.
Hi, I've just done about six reboots with my ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff setup and the permanent MACs are kept to my delight, and the position of the IPs is random in each case, but I'm sorry it doesn't work for you your own proposed solution. When I have time I will describe in more detail the entire procedure that I use so that you can try to reproduce it and see if you have more luck. All the best,

Last time i was checking /etc/dnsmasq.conf and there were some differences for the wol manual arp dhcp entry between 388.2alpha1 and newer versions. Ill post them later when im home... In 388.2alpha1 there was something like

dhcp-host=AC:TU:AL:MA:C:X:X",set:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF,COMPUTER,192.168.1.254

In later versions set:FF... Is changed by also actual mac address... Also some other differences. Just wanted to compare what are the changes between working static arp asuswrt Merlin and versions where it doenst

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!