Walmart Ac2600 firmware options

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

TheGlow

Occasional Visitor
I needed to upgrade from an Asus RTn66u and saw this at Walmart and picked one up.
What recommendations are there? I was using Asus-Merlin on my last 2 Asus routers, but I have used DDWRT in the past. Is there a specific one for netgear? I saw something I might be able to get asusmerlin on it, but wasnt sure due to confusion on model numbers r7450 not being an r7000 series, etc.

TheGlow

Occasional Visitor
Ehh I cant seem to find any info about this, meanwhile the Asus RT-AC68U is only $10-20 more currently, so I'll be returning this.

Murtaza12

Regular Contributor
Ehh I cant seem to find any info about this, meanwhile the Asus RT-AC68U is only $10-20 more currently, so I'll be returning this.

You're returning an R7800 for an AC68U? That's a huge step backwards.

Gar

Very Senior Member
An R7450 is part of a unique Netgear series, not a 7000 or 7800. It's made for Walmart, Bestbuy, etc. Was $89-99 in the Black Friday ads. I just asked the same thing, it's confusing.

TheGlow

Occasional Visitor
You're returning an R7800 for an AC68U? That's a huge step backwards.
As Gar mentioned this model isnt mainstream really. It appears to be some budget model, rebranded for different stores. As is stock it might be fine, but Ive had asus routers with merlin specifically for the last 6+ years and have had no performance issues. No need to reboot the router offhand, etc. I have this xfinity modem/wifi router combo and it needs to be rebooted every week.
So again for another $10 bucks from amazon I opted for a sturdy wellknown model with support.
Peace of mind vs buyers remorse.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!