1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

WAN Access to home network

Discussion in 'LAN & WAN Article Discussions' started by Ripface, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Ripface

Ripface New Around Here

Hi All,

Not sure if what I want to achieve *can* be achieved, but thought I'd run this past the more experienced heads on this forum .....

I have an ASUS RT-AC66u Router with Merlin currently installed. At home I have a measly 1mbps broadband line (Yup! You read that right!!) and was stuck with that for the last 20 years. Last year we finally got a decent 4G service in the area so I purchased a Netgear LB1111 LTE modem and installed it in the loft with an external antenna to maximise throughput. On good days I get 50mbps on the LTE modem.

I have my Asus router set up in dual WAN mode with load balancing across the Primary (4G) and Secondary (ADSL) with a weighting of 9:1 in favour of the fast 4G. I do this as the only way I can get access to my home network over the WAN is to come in over the landline broadband. Can't do this with 4G as it is NAT'd.

This means I have fast internet at home (except when the load balancing hops me onto the ADSL line) and can also reach my home network externally if I need to. Happy days!

My only gripe is that 1 in 10 chance of getting stuck on the ADSL line. Does anyone know if it is possible to run the ASUS in failover mode, but still allow access in to the broadband line over the WAN? I've tried putting the modem in failover mode, but then I lose external access.

I'm hoping there is some funky routing rules out there that might allow this to work?

Cheers and thanks for reading,
    Ripface

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018