What's new

WAN access to my Asus Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Norm

New Around Here
I wanted to know if anyone could help me get WAN access to my home router.

I replaced my expensive Comcast Cable Modem with a Cell phone running on 4G LTE.

I use a WiFi hotspot on the phone (to take advantage of my carrier's unlimited data plan that only slows down after I have used 23GB and demand for bandwidth is high) that connects to a WiFi to Ethernet bridge.

The Ethernet from the bridge plugs into the WAN port of my Asus Router (one of those T-Mobile Cellpoint versions of the ASUS RC-1900)

Believe it or not, it works great. Running my TiVo, Time Capsule Time Machine, Sony BluRay Player and my Sonos wired with CAT7 off the router plus wifi for my laptop, iPad, and iPhone. Browsing, YouTube, Netflix, HBO, Hulu all work fine.

However, this is not the way my carrier designed things. My cell phone doesn't provide a public WAN IP address. So the router creates a private WAN IP address.

I got a StrongVPN account and installed the client in the Asus Router. The VPN provides a private IP address. I can see this address when I log into the StrongVPN site. I have tried using this as the WAN IP address, but it only goes one way. Outbound.

But nothing works to get into the router from the outside world. No FTP off the USB drive. No SNMP to manage the router remotely. Now, I could buy a cheap, used PC and run VNC screen sharing, getting remote access by sharing a LAN connected device. But I'd like to avoid that.

I use a free NO-IP account to create a host name to point to a dynamic WAN IP if I had a dynamic WAN IP. But that is the missing link.

What is strange is the remote access worked for a little while and I was accessing the router's config page and the FTP server through my No IP account on ddns.net. But 4 hours later, it stopped working.

I am thinking Double NAT but have no idea how to resolve it because my cell phone isn't designed to be a consumer end-point for providing Internet access to my whole house. But it does and it saves me about $100 a month.

Bottom line: Outbound works; inbound doesn't.