What's new

WAN DHCP Connection Issues 384.10* Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sean Rhodes

Regular Contributor
I am also have similar issues to what I have seen in some of the posts and have actually had to go back to stock firmware to fix it.

My ISP is Cogeco.ca and I have a Cisco DPC3848VM modem which I setup in Bridge mode. I use my Asus RT-AC3200 which has been working fine for the last couple of years.

Recently however it started dropping connections, occasionally in build 384.8, more so in 384.10 and completely broken in firmware build 384.10_2.

What happens is when the router powers up, it sees the WAN IP assigned by Cogeco for about 1.5 secs and then immediately goes to disconnected and I have no internet access. If I plug in directly to the cable modem, the internet is there.

I performed a complete wipe, re-flashed back to Asus stock fimware and everything works. I let it run for a day and then re-loaded 384.10_2 firmware where it ran for couple of hours and then the WAN IP became disconnected again.

Currently the only way I can get a reliable connection is by reverting back to ASUS stock firmware, which i'mcurrently running at the moment.

I'm attaching my syslog in order that somebody can give me some pointers. I did notice there are a couple of issues, firstly it looks lite the NTP server wasn't running and the system time is a year off. I also see the following "WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly."

I keep trying to upload my syslog but it doesn't seem to work past the selection option

I am also have similar issues to what I have seen in some of the posts and have actually had to go back to stock firmware to fix it.
I'm attaching my syslog in order that somebody can give me some pointers. I did notice there are a couple of issues, firstly it looks lite the NTP server wasn't running and the system time is a year off. I also see the following "WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly."

I keep trying to upload my syslog but it doesn't seem to work past the selection option
Do you find in your syslog, at the time it drops, something like:
Apr 19 09:54:16 nat: apply redirect rules
Apr 19 09:54:22 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

Exactly, word for word
I got that on my 68U running ASUS 384.45149, which I did occasionally have a few mysterious outages - usually when I wasn't available to diagnose. During the outage yesterday my modem lights showed it was connected to the ISP.So I just power cycled both the modem and the router and everything came up good. Later I updated to the latest (384.45713). but that's probably not relevant.

Then I remembered an old thread where RMerlin suggested that someone change the Administration/System/Network Monitoring setting. IIRC that setting is how the router determines whether it is connected to the internet. Mine had been set to Ping google.com. So I unchecked both DNS Query and Ping. I believe that effectively turns off this polling. I'm keeping a lookout for further issues.

I will try that. I'm still back on stock FW, but I'm going to try again following L&LD's post with just a basic setting and then add all my static IP's, port forwarding and VPN one at a time, letting it run a couple of days in between.

Try to disable Network Monitoring (for both Ping and DNS) and also disable “enable WAN down redirect browser notice” in Administration / System.

My connection has been solid for 2 months with these options off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Try to disable Network Monitoring (for both Ping and DNS) and also disable “enable WAN down redirect browser notice” in Administration / System.

My connection has been solid for 2 months with these options off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot

Hi everyone, I think there is some serious issues with the OVPN running on asus routers namel models 88U, rt-AC3200. Here is my
routers that are all in the middle of networks I maintain:

1) My private ac-88u (currently 384.8_2) running both vpn servers and clients that are constantly connected.
2) AC-88U at another location (business) also 384.8_2 running only two VPN servers for employees to connect and for me to troubleshoot network if needed, no router clients setup to connect anywhere.
3) rt-ac3200 at a private home running two vpn servers

4) Two rt-ac68U 384.10_2 and 384.8_2 with two vpn servres running at private homes different locations
5) RT-AC1750 with 380.70 running two VPN servers in a business
6) RT-AC66R with 380.70 running two VPN servers
7) RT-AC66U with 380.7 running two VPN servers this one is overseas.

The last 4 router are running flawlesly, for years now. No issues.

The first three started experiencing issues with dropped WAN connection sometime in March after firmware updates. I Believe all of it to be related to VPN. After disabling ALL VPN functions and painful factory reset and manual reprogram on these routers they behaive normally. As soon as VPN server is setup or a client (at my home router) sometimes after a day sometimes after few days either there is abnormaly high CPU activity or lost connection to WAN alltogether. Sometimes it happens after connecting to the VPN server on the router. Sometimes the connection is fine and in happens after connection is closed. Any advice anyone? Sory if the post is in a wrong place just don't have time to dig through forum.

Does anyone knwo why WAN monitoring causes the WAn to disconnect?
I've been searching for days for my AX88U and problem has been solved when I stumbled on this post.
Turning WAN monitoring (both DNS and Ping) off kept my WAN stable.
Is it a bug?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!