What's new

WAN DHCP Issue 18b

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tstewart

Occasional Visitor
I have started to have a WAN DHCP issue with the 18b firmware. Yesterday I lost internet connection and after looking at it for a little bit I found an error in the log that said the ISP DHCP server did not respond correctly. (This is not the exact error since I forgot to save it) After awhile it came back so I thought maybe it was an ISP issue. Well early this morning it happened again I tried a few things to get it to work with no luck. I just got home from work and the only thing that worked was to downgrade to version 17 and it worked right away. It seems to happen when the DHCP lease expires and the router has to renew it.

Any ideas on what this could be? Never had the problem on any version before 18b.

Thanks

Asus changed the way the WAN DHCP was handled starting with build 220, so this is most likely something specific to that. I have no way of testing/debugging this since my cable service works fine, so you will have to contact Asus about this.

Where is the best place to contact them?

Asus changed the way the WAN DHCP was handled starting with build 220, so this is most likely something specific to that. I have no way of testing/debugging this since my cable service works fine, so you will have to contact Asus about this.

Did not pay close enough attention to this but your build 17 is also base of off Asus build 220 correct? So far I have not had any troubles with build 17 after downgrading.

Make sure you didn't enable DualWAN, in case it might interfere. This is the only WAN-related change in build 220.18.

Well it took awhile but build 17 also has the WAN issue. It could not renew the WAN DHCP this morning. I flashed in version 18b again and it started working. Is there a command I could send to get it to try and release and renew again. It seems once it is in this state it never retries again.

Thanks

Well it took awhile but build 17 also has the WAN issue. It could not renew the WAN DHCP this morning. I flashed in version 18b again and it started working. Is there a command I could send to get it to try and release and renew again. It seems once it is in this state it never retries again.

Thanks

Starting with firmware 220, Asus changed the WAN toggle option on the main page so turning WAN off will properly send a DHCP release request to your ISP, and turning it back on will request a new lease.

Starting with firmware 220, Asus changed the WAN toggle option on the main page so turning WAN off will properly send a DHCP release request to your ISP, and turning it back on will request a new lease.

wishing there was a toggle button for disconnect and reconnect. XD

wishing there was a toggle button for disconnect and reconnect. XD

There is, right on the first page. Click on the Internet Status image, and the right side menu will turn into an Internet Status table, with an On/Off toggle.

I have exactly the same issue. I just bought the RT-N66U this week, and immediately updated the firmware to the latest of Merlin (220).

I have Zyxel 2812HNU-F1 as modem and behind it is the Asus. I have set the Asus to AP-mode. Last night I put the wired cable from the Zyxel in network port #4 of the Asus, so not in the WAN port. However this night the connection was lost again, so I have put it back in the WAN port again. Hopefully the connection will now be stable.

I have also entered the DNS servers manually. Strange thing is that the Zyxel doesn't loose it's internet connection. It is the connection between the Zyxel and the Asus. Unfortunately I can't find anything in the log files. I have already tried other routers too (Airport Extreme and Linksys v4200), all suffered from loosing the connection.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks.

Ramon

I have exactly the same issue. I just bought the RT-N66U this week, and immediately updated the firmware to the latest of Merlin (220).

I have Zyxel 2812HNU-F1 as modem and behind it is the Asus. I have set the Asus to AP-mode. Last night I put the wired cable from the Zyxel in network port #4 of the Asus, so not in the WAN port. However this night the connection was lost again, so I have put it back in the WAN port again. Hopefully the connection will now be stable.

I have also entered the DNS servers manually. Strange thing is that the Zyxel doesn't loose it's internet connection. It is the connection between the Zyxel and the Asus. Unfortunately I can't find anything in the log files. I have already tried other routers too (Airport Extreme and Linksys v4200), all suffered from loosing the connection.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks.

Ramon
I have a Zyxel 2602HWT-F1 and have the same setup as you with the Wan Connection set to Automatic IP and have had these issues without getting
any errors in the Asus or the Zyxels log. I took a look in the Zyxel and you
can reserve the ip-adress on each Lan-port so it will not be renewed. I just
changed this , after speaking with my IPS:s support to get it confirmed.
Now I am waiting to see if the problem is solved.

I have a static IP address assigned to the Asus router. But even then the connection between the Zyxel and Asus drops frequently. In some forum I read that similar problems were resolved when the ISP assigned a new IP address to the Zyxel modem from their side. Now just hoping that some helpdesk agent with my ISP will talk to me, yesterday I gave up after 30 minutes waiting :(

If you haven't done that yet, make sure the cable between the modem and the router is marked as Cat 5e or Cat 6. People have had issues using older Cat 5 cables due to the router having gigabit ports - you need a cable rated for gigabit rates.

The cable between router and modem is a new CAT6 cable. Today I changed the cable which comes from the telephone connection and goes into the modem. The one with two wires, just the plain old telephone cable.
And since then I have hadn't a problem (yet). For the first times 8 hours without having to do a reset. 8 hours is not yet convincing, but for it is at least a good start in the right direction.

I will post updates.

Still after a couple of days it is working. No more resets were required. Case closed. Thanks for all replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!