orudie

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone!

RT-AX86U Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.388_20566

I configured WAN DNS Setting with:

Filter Mode: Ad block
Service Name: AdGuard
DNS Server: 94.140.14.14, 94.140.15.15

However, the ads are still there on all my LAN clients such as Windows PC with Opera browser even with the "Prevent client auto DoH = yes".

The only way I can get the ads to go away is by specifying DNS servers in Windows network configuration settings.

Is there a way to enforce all my LAN clients to strictly use the DNS servers I specified in my router's WAN DNS settings?

Below are my current settings:

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Your clients are not using AdGuard. You have enabled DNS-over-TLS so the servers shown there (Surfnet and Google) are overriding the WAN DNS servers.

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
You can use AdGuard with DoT but it needs to be a manual entry:

In the DNS over TLS Server list enter the 94.140.14.14 in the box under IP Address. In the box under TLS Hostname enter: dns.adguard-dns.com Leave the pther two boxes blank then add the entry to the list.
Do the same for the 94.140.14.14 with dns.adguard-dns.com

It will work!

adguard-dot.jpg

orudie

Occasional Visitor
You can use AdGuard with DoT but it needs to be a manual entry:

In the DNS over TLS Server list enter the 94.140.14.14 in the box under IP Address. In the box under TLS Hostname enter: dns.adguard-dns.com Leave the pther two boxes blank then add the entry to the list.
Do the same for the 94.140.14.14 with dns.adguard-dns.com

It will work!

View attachment 44817

orudie

Occasional Visitor
I enabled dns-over-tls, and manually specified dns server addresses just like you showed me. But I still see adds when playing youtube videos on my Samsung TV on Youtube app. I am not sure if it is even possible to get rid of ads from the YouTube applications in all of my LAN clients such as smartphones, tablets, and TVs. If it is possible to achieve with routers dns configurations, please let me know.

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
I enabled dns-over-tls, and manually specified dns server addresses just like you showed me. But I still see adds when playing youtube videos on my Samsung TV on Youtube app. I am not sure if it is even possible to get rid of ads from the YouTube applications in all of my LAN clients such as smartphones, tablets, and TVs. If it is possible to achieve with routers dns configurations, please let me know.
Likely the TV uses its own DNS settings which are hard coded in. Use the Asus phone app and use it to set the TV Safe Browsing to Add Block. Under Device touch the device name to see Safe Browsing.

cptnoblivious

Youtube serves ads from the same domains as their content, so it's very difficult to block via dns. One way to block it is in browser, with uBlock origin.

As ad blocking via DNS lists becomes more popular, I'd expect that more apps serve up ads in a manner that makes it harder to block by 'building the ads into the app' and not requiring external domain lookups.

Gustour

Regular Contributor
Likely the TV uses its own DNS settings which are hard coded in. Use the Asus phone app and use it to set the TV Safe Browsing to Add Block. Under Device touch the device name to see Safe Browsing.
This is great ! But can't find it. Do you have screenshot ?
Thanks

orudie

Occasional Visitor
This is great ! But can't find it. Do you have screenshot ?
Thanks
Are you looking in the Asus Router app in your smart phone? I suspect you cannot find it because the client names are showing up as MAC addresses in the list of devices. It really helps if you rename your LAN clients to the names which make sense to you. This is what I did.

Anyway, this does not remove ads from youtube on my Samsung TV. I would not care so much about the stupid ads if my 4 year old son could skip them when he is watching cartoons.

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
Do you have AiProtect enabled? Is the phone app up to date?

Don->

Regular Contributor

VANT

Very Senior Member
Are you looking in the Asus Router app in your smart phone? I suspect you cannot find it because the client names are showing up as MAC addresses in the list of devices. It really helps if you rename your LAN clients to the names which make sense to you. This is what I did.

Anyway, this does not remove ads from youtube on my Samsung TV. I would not care so much about the stupid ads if my 4 year old son could skip them when he is watching cartoons.

this not work for yt from smart tv's. (LG)
but i have other question...
why this feature is not avaible in normal router webgui. ? Now we have some features in one places and rest features in other places ?
Nonsense