What's new

Wan don't connect after upgrading from 386.3_2 to 386.4_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pollux

New Around Here
After 386.4 upgrade from 386.3_2 (using current config) the WAN does not connect anymore.
Downgrading to 386.3_2, resetting the config and upgrading again to 386.4_0, the WAN connects correctly with the base 384._0 config.
When applying to 384_0 the 386.3_2 saconfig, the WAN does not connect anymore.
After searching the 384._0 change log, I can't identify the WAN parameter causing the problem.
Please help.

What router/model are you using?
Have you tried a hard reset then a full manual reconfigure after updating to 386.4?
Did you check the WAN DNS fields post update and ensure they are populated with public DNS servers?

I don't have done a full manual reconfigure after update due to the large number of parameters (this could perhaps fix the problem but it's quite a lot of error prone work).
Will check the WAN DNS fields post update as they don't exists in 386.3_2.

I don't have done a full manual reconfigure after update due to the large number of parameters (this could perhaps fix the problem but it's quite a lot of error prone work).
Will check the WAN DNS fields post update as they don't exists in 386.3_2.
Sometimes a hard reset can fix issues introduced by doing a dirty update (installing newer firmware version over an older firmware version).

The WAN DNS fields may not appear depending on one's WAN Connection Type. Example of the WAN DNS fields:

WANDNS.jpg

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I have done the following with the RT-AC68U :
1) check that WAN internet stay connected up wether DNS addresses (OPENDNS) are specified or not in current 386.3_2 WAN definition screen (WAN is up)
2) upgrade from 386.3_2 to 386.4_0 -> (WAN internet goes and stay down with or without DNS addresses are specified or not)
3) after 386.4_0 factory reset, clearing all settings and logs WAN internet come UP (without DNS addresses specified into WAN definition screen)
4) apply 386.3_2 settings and JFFS partition to this current 386.4_0 version -> WAN goes down after applying the settings and stay down whether DNS address are specified or not. Please note that the VPN server allows communication with clients thru the WAN interface even if internet is shown "disconnected" for the WAN (but front pannel internet LED is ON )
5) fallback to 386.3_2 firmware -> WAN now UP without any need to restore config and/or and JFFS partition

I hope this will help to solve the problem.
I have attached WAN screen prints at various states as well as a copy of the config file.

Attachments

• 386.3_2 WAN (ON) screen.jpg
    386.3_2 WAN (ON) screen.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 91
  • WAN after 386.4_0 upgrade .jpg
    WAN after 386.4_0 upgrade .jpg
    107 KB · Views: 86
  • WAN ON after full reset.jpg
    WAN ON after full reset.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 111
  • WAN 386.4_0 after restoring 386.3_2 setting.jpg
    WAN 386.4_0 after restoring 386.3_2 setting.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 93

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!