What's new

WAN ip change OpenVPN tunnel gets inactive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Martinnnnn

New Around Here
Hi there!! I hope you guys/girls ;-) can help me out with a problem. A couple of times a day, something's after 5 hours sometimes after 16 hours sometimes after 2 hours, my OpenVPN client (Asus rt ac87u newest Merlin firmware) gives a "inactivity timeout".

Several minutes later it automatically restarts SirusR1 and works again. I think that my ISP is causing this problem....

My ISP DHCP renewal interval is one hour. At the moment they provide me a new ip Adress the vpn tunnel times out and restarts (+/- 8 minutes later) and works again. But meanwhile (+/- 8 minutes) I'm temporary without internet (kill switch).... not handy.

Is there anything I can put in costume script that makes sure the tunnel stays up if my ISP changes my external WAN ip adress?

If the server has a dynamic ip you can use "float" is there also something like that for a dynamic CLIENT?

Thank you in advance!!!

Martin

Hi there!! I hope you guys/girls ;-) can help me out with a problem. A couple of times a day, something's after 5 hours sometimes after 16 hours sometimes after 2 hours, my OpenVPN client (Asus rt ac87u newest Merlin firmware) gives a "inactivity timeout".

Several minutes later it automatically restarts SirusR1 and works again. I think that my ISP is causing this problem....

My ISP DHCP renewal interval is one hour. At the moment they provide me a new ip Adress the vpn tunnel times out and restarts (+/- 8 minutes later) and works again. But meanwhile (+/- 8 minutes) I'm temporary without internet (kill switch).... not handy.

Is there anything I can put in costume script that makes sure the tunnel stays up if my ISP changes my external WAN ip adress?

If the server has a dynamic ip you can use "float" is there also something like that for a dynamic CLIENT?

Thank you in advance!!!

Martin
It is normal when you are inactive on a VPN that the server drops you. It is also normal that the VPN client tries to connect to the server.