What's new

WAN/LAN Loss > RT-AX68U Kernel Panic?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Canadian_Husband

New Around Here
Issue:
Curious if anyone else is seeing this issue, seems to be completely random. Working away, minding my business, and then I lose (lights go out) both LAN and WAN. LAN comes back relatively fast, WAN takes a second longer (orange light -> white light).

Basic config:
Few DHCP Reservations
uPNP Off
Manual Port Forwarding
Single SSID with 2.4/5ghz LB
NO USB DEVICES
Merlin 386.5 Beta 1 (was on 386.4 Final)

Logs:
<see attachment LogSnip.txt>

Jonathan

Attachments

• LogSnip.txt
    18 KB · Views: 91
May 5 01:05:02 kernel: proc_dostring_crashlogsave: crash log filename is /jffs/crashlog.log

This file does not exist on my router, but, without USB ... I don't believe I have a persistent JFFS, correct?

... but, without USB ... I don't believe I have a persistent JFFS, correct?
Incorrect. All Asus routers have persistent JFFS. That is unrelated to any USB drive that may be attached.

I can't see anything in the log that would indicate there was a kernel panic or any other type of crash. I'm not saying there wasn't, just that there's no indication of it. The log messages are more typical of the router being turned off and then on again.

Incorrect. All Asus routers have persistent JFFS. That is unrelated to any USB drive that may be attached.

I can't see anything in the log that would indicate there was a kernel panic or any other type of crash. I'm not saying there wasn't, just that there's no indication of it. The log messages are more typical of the router being turned off and then on again.

Ahh, good to know! I've had some Netgear products in the past (that I ran Tomato and Kong-DDWRT on), but I'm sure I had to go USB to get static JFFS, could be wrong though. Did it get to get a larger JFFS, addons, swap, etc.

I dumped those quick for an RT-AC68U that I love!

Dropped all of the USB stuff at that point, because ASUS OS has everything I need already in it.

Upgraded a week or so back to the RT-AX68U because there was an Amazon Opened Box at 50% off, got it, and it was untouched! But, noticed this issue since setting it up..

----------------------------------------

A power cycle takes a couple of minutes typically, the outage in this case is only ~30-45 seconds.

Plus 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi aren't actually dropping from what I can tell. I don't lose connection, and the power/wifi lights don't go out on the top of the router.

Only the LAN/WAN lights on the router go out.

Very strange....

Jon

Last edited:
No ideas to try?

I already upgraded my network cables from CAT6 to CAT8 for the extra shielding and frequency.

My original thought was electrical interference.

But no kernel panic file or errors. Curious if it wasn’t saved maybe. Anything I can check?

Jon

Given that there are no errors in the log I'd have to assume it's a hardware issue. Perhaps the power adapter is faulty or has an intermittent connection somewhere which is causing a momentary power interruption. Try plugging it into a different power socket. Try wiggling things around to try and recreate the problem.

Alternatively, just assume it's faulty and return it for a refund or replacement.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!