What's new

WAN MTU Router Specific or ISP/Location Specific?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
Is the MTU dependent on the Router or the ISP? I had tested and adjusted my old router MTU to 1400 and practically eliminated packet loss after prompting and instruction by others.
My New router seems to be doing quite well at 1500, so I hesitate to change it.

In most cases it's dependent on the WAN connection type, e.g. Automatic IP vs. PPPoE.

In most cases it's dependent on the WAN connection type, e.g. Automatic IP vs. PPPoE.
Thank you, sir. It is Automatic IP now, but my former router was configured as a fake dual WAN setup because my WAN port had been fried by electrical storm and I waas using an ethernet port as WAN due to my friends here. I would have never thought of it.
Perhaps that's where the difference lies.

Thank you, sir. It is Automatic IP now, but my former router was configured as a fake dual WAN setup because my WAN port had been fried by electrical storm and I waas using an ethernet port as WAN due to my friends here. I would have never thought of it.
Perhaps that's where the difference lies.
This is interesting - I'd like to walk through the logic here as to why in DualWAN your router would work better set that way...I would guess there is a packet overhead for DualWAN to function correctly...

This is interesting - I'd like to walk through the logic here as to why in DualWAN your router would work better set that way...I would guess there is a packet overhead for DualWAN to function correctly...
may be. I wish i knew enough about it to provide some insite. i can only guess but there must be some logic to it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!