What's new

WAN or LAN port???????

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ingeborgdot

Regular Contributor
I have my RT-AC86U as my main router downstairs with Merlin firmware. I have an older RT-AC56R upstairs with Asus firmware because I don't seem to find any Merlin firmware for it. Anyway, I have seen so many conflicting reports of what to do when hooking up the cable I don't know what to do.
When I put the 56R in AP mode, do I hook the cable up to the WAN or LAN? Only respond if you know for a fact. Thanks so much for your time.

How to set up operation mode- Access Point(AP) mode?

Please follow the below steps to set up the Operation mode- Access Point mode (AP mode) :

1. Please connect your AP router from its Wan port to the LAN port of router/modem.

8147b618-dd50-4123-87db-692d6eb75afb.jpg

When I put the 56R in AP mode, do I hook the cable up to the WAN or LAN?
It doesn't matter which you use because in AP mode the WAN port becomes just another LAN port. Personally I would use the WAN port because it makes things easier if I want to switch it back to router mode.

The final supported version of Merlin for the RT-AC56R was 384.6.

It doesn't matter which you use because in AP mode the WAN port becomes just another LAN port. Personally I would use the WAN port because it makes things easier if I want to switch it back to router mode.

The final supported version of Merlin for the RT-AC56R was 384.6.
Do you think I should use the Merlin or the Asus Firmware in that case?

Got it. Will do. Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!